What brands of baking mixes are not processed in facility where nuts are also processed?

My son has a kid in his class who has a peanut allergy, so I will need to be careful with what cake mix I buy. Do you know of any that would be ok to buy? I really want to get one of those rainbow chip type mixes that are cute for kids, since I bought some nice Disney Cars paper cups for cupcakes and matching cupcake rings.

wenona_mandy

Asked by wenona_mandy at 3:17 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Here is a great reference website for peanut free products. Just be sure to also check the box even if it is on the safe list! http://www.peanutsafefood.com/

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:24 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Look in the health food section of the grocery store. They have cake mixes that are peanut free. I just bought it, but I can't remember the brand. The peanut free muffins and brownies have Arthur on the cover, but the cake mix was different. I think the box was yellow and red. It says "peanut free" quite large.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• If you are afraid, just get the peanut allergy kid some oreo's.
    mompam

• You know, when my DS had a peanut allergy in his class I did rice crispy treat cup cakes. I used name brand rice crispies and shaped them into cup cakes into the cup cake paper and then decorated them with a thin layer of peanut free icing and sprinkles! It was cute and I didn't have to worry to much about the cake mix. Of course if it is anything like my BFF her daughter had 'safe' snacks in the office just for these occasions and never eats anything brought in even if the parent says it is okay.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I think it has on the back of the boxes whether there is a possibility of cross contamination during processing. If you're willing, home made cakes aren't that difficult and you'd know for sure it was safe.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 1:07 PM on Apr. 3, 2011