Do you think pro anorexia groups on facebook and other forums should be banned?

WHY OR WHY NOT???

Out of the Shadows

After meeting for years on anonymous and secret Web sites, pro-anorexia groups are now moving to more public forums like Facebook.

A Web page labeled "Ana Boot Camp" recently offered its members a seemingly irresistible proposition: a 30-day regimen designed to help them drop some serious pounds, no exercise needed. The catch was that the group's members were to vary their daily caloric intake from 500 (less than half the daily minimum requirement for women recommended by the American College of Sports Medicine) to zero. They were supposed to track their progress, fast to make up for the days they accidentally "overate" and support each other as they worked toward their common goal of radical weight loss.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Health

• more here
    http://www.newsweek.com/id/170528
    these are pro-ana sites. this is so people can see what kind of "support" these girls are getting
    http://www.anafriends.org/category-view.asp (this one has a fasts and COMPOTISONS area)
    http://community.livejournal.com/proanorexia
    http://everything2.com/e2node/How%2520to%2520become%2520a%2520better%2520anorexic
    Anonymous

• I think the ones that promote the idea of anorexia should be banned. It's like pro-suicide groups or some crap.

But if there are actual support groups for anorexia sufferers, then they should be allowed to stay. I know the majority of the pro-ana sites and stuff aren't though, they're just there to egg the poor girls on and make them feel worthless because they can't get down to 65 pounds.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:59 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• As someone who has suffered from an eating disorder since i was 15 (now I am almost 40), I dont like to see it viewed as a "lifestyle" or a "choice". Its' a dangerous thing to play around with. Ive vistied some of those "pro" sites & yes, you do get encouragment to continue on a self destructive path but the thing is the people who are deep in their disorder dont see it as the death sentence that it is. Very sad. I am in recovery yet I will never claim to be "cured". You cant be. You can fall back very easily and quickly. Its sad to see these young girls wasting their lives away. I missed so much of my life due to this horrid thing. It's really not attractive to be hospitalized w/ a tube up your nose. I wish there were a way to stop these kinds of sites from exsisting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• for sure my dd had an ed since she was 12 she learned knew ways on those sites and there AWFUL
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 1:37 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• it should be banned
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 1:37 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• We got a myspace profile removed for the anereoxia reason.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 6:31 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• My friend's SO has been anorexic for years... she's bald and has no teeth and can barely walk.. yeah, she's thin, but she looks like she's 80 and she's only 36. Maybe pro-ana can post some close up shots of her face/head and give the WHOLE story instead of the "benefits".
    Eat less, exercise more. No one will want to date you if you're always too tired for sex and your teeth fall out while you're kissing!! I don't let my teens have facebook/myspace accounts simply because they hog the computer enough as it is (gotta get up at 5am to get on cafemom!)
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 7:53 AM on Nov. 29, 2008