I don't know what to do......

At first I was going to go into elementary education...and then changed to culinary arts but now am feeling a pull to early childcare. I don't know what to do!!!!!
It is driving me crazy. I love cooking, but don't do so well in a fast paced environment. I love kids, but I'm afraid that since I'm a lesbian a judgmental and close-minded adult will "complain" about me and since there are no discrimination against sexual orientation protection where I live, I'm afraid i'll be putting my job at risk every time I go into work. this problem is eating at me, causing upset stomach and I'm very close to bursting into tears.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

RainbowMom132

Asked by RainbowMom132 at 3:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in

• I think as long as you don't flaunt your sexuality you will be fine. I remember we had a lesbian teacher when I was growing up and it wasn't like she had her girlfriend come to school or anything, you could just kinda guess. Your sexuality should have nothing to do with your professionalism and that is what the parents will see.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:39 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I would not worry about your sexuality. One of my kids teahcers was a lesbian and one of their gymnastic coaches was gay. Most people are more accepting of sexuality, and it doesn't affect your skills away from home. :-) Follow your passion and do not worry about the rest. I think teaching is the better option, better benefits, hours and it sounds like you truely have a passion for it. Culinary sounds fun, but you can enjoy that without a degree and I feel it would be a more difficult career.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 3:53 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Why don't you try working in child care a little before you spend the money to earn a degree?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:54 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I would stick with the education. There is alot (not enough yet), but alot that has been done in the way of promoting tolerance. If a parent wants to complain, he/she will actually look like not such a good person in the eyes of parents like me, who despise that type of discrimination.

Stick to your heart!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:57 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• My best teachers on earth and my best friends who are teachers are gay or lesbian, I would not let that discourage you. Here is a thought..there are several places around here that do a real bang up business doing kids cooking classes and pastry parties including kids birthday parties.You could combine your talents!

Go where your heart is. However, personally I have seen the hospitality/culinary industry at its worse I guess. If you are not obsessed with food and don't want to work weekends and nights and 14 hour shifts I would gravitate more towards teaching.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 5:05 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Is there a better job market for chefs, teachers, or something else?

Answer by rkoloms at 7:25 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I wouldn't be a teacher now, even if I was paid millions of dollars. In my state, we are losing $900 million in funds for education. Over 250 teachers are being laid off in my district, meaning there will be 40 kids in a classroom, less materials, etc. Programs are ending too. The disrespect that teachers get is unacceptable, parents that allow their children to disrespect teachers also makes it hard to be an effective teacher.

Find out what has the better market for jobs and go from there. Also, early childhood pays very little. In my area, you are lucky to make $10 and there are NO benefits.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:52 PM on Apr. 3, 2011