I've been nursing my baby exclusivley for 6 months, I am ready to start weaning him to bottles and formula...what is the best way to do this?

Do I just up and cold turkey..no more nursing....just bottles?
I tried giving him a bottle last night,he just wouldnt take it,so I nursed him to sleep.
This morning, I held out till 12:45...he would only drink about an ounce from the bottle all morning, so I nursed him.
Is there a method to this that I am missing?
It doesnt have to be a fast wean..if I can get him transitioned in 2-3 weeks that would be good.
I may even be able to keep one feeding at maybe bedtime as nursing,,not sure yet.
If you;ve had to do this, how did you go about it?
Thank you :)

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 3:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say start giving him the bottle at least once throughout the day, so that he get use to the bottle. I nursed my daughter for 10 months, and when i started weening her off, I would not let her on my breast so much. I would start giving her the bottle twice during the day and at night was the only time i would nurse her. Best wishes to you in the process of getting your little guy weened
    asap1908

Answer by asap1908 at 12:26 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I always waited until my son was really hungry each time and did the bottle first and actually mixed a little formula with the breastmilk to get him used to the taste...it just takes patience...Good Luck!
    Sammy1984

Answer by Sammy1984 at 3:42 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Don't try to give him a bottle yourself, especially not a formula bottle - either bring him to someone else or have someone come to your house and you leave. Also, to get him used to the taste, you might want to try mixing breastmilk & formula for a hwile.
    Anonymous

• i think the best thing to do is find a good nipple. a lot of babies will take any nipple just fine but you might want to start with one that is similar to a human nipple. i'd just give it a test run with a bottle of formula, after all you don't know til you try and if he doesn't take to it well then do it gradually...if he does take it well then just go cold turkey
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 3:56 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I had to stop because I had personal reasons and wasn't able to see my son for a week. (He was 7 months) I had the breastflow bottles and he took it from his dad but would not from me. I dried up pretty quick but it is kind of painful for a day or two. GL
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 6:01 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Switching immediately to formula without a gradual mixture may give him some tummy issues. I'd certainly mix the formula and breastmilk at first. And there are nipples that mimic breastfeeding. So invest in good bottles/ mix the formula with your milk. And take it gradually.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:03 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• i am trying the same with my boy. i give him a bottle with formula in for him to play with to get used to which helps as he drinks it. I was told if i only wanted to BF it would take 24 hours at least. Give a bottle for the first feed and if they wont take bottle from you find another person. continue for at least 24 hrs and they should start taking the bottle
    Good Luck
    vleigh

Answer by vleigh at 8:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• dont do it cold turkey unless you want to get mastitis. you have to wean slowly, replaced one feeding every few days with a bottle of formula. by the way you could just skip the bottle and go straight to sippy cup.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:02 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Not cold turkey! If you really must wean, replace one feeding a week with a bottle of formula.

I always nursed at least a year. Then you don't have to deal with transitioning to bottles of formula, you can wean right to a cup.

Why wean so young?
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:45 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I'm curious of this myself, lol. I'm in no rush right now, my dd is only almost 4 months, and I plan to continue for some time yet, but my first went straight to the bottle when I had issue after 3 weeks. I know my second DD really dislikes bottles (I sometimes try to give her breast milk in a bottle that I prepumped if I have an errand to run and it's difficult to find a place to breastfeed with her). most of the time she refuses it and I end up rushing to finish this or that and finding a quiet spot.. but I know as summer approaches this is going to be more difficult because I know my toddler will want to get out a lot more. I'll give you a bump up because you gave me a great question to ask. (but I won't fill up your page with it, lol)>
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:44 PM on Apr. 2, 2011