Any good advice for relief with TMJ pain?

I am a heavy grinder/clencher, I have a mouth guard which I hate and have ground through it, I talk motrin and all the usual. Started doing yoga which is helping but do you have any tips or habits you've developed which help you NOT clench all day?

8Tinkerboo8

Asked by 8Tinkerboo8 at 3:42 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Health

• i have it too. I keep the tip of my tongue between my front teeth so that it keeps my jaw slightly ajar and if I clench,I bite my tongue and stop. Sometimes it hard to remember to do this though

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:53 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Just sitting here I've been clenching today and I didn't realize until now I'm getting the searing headache and jaw ache - I hate this! The tip of the tongue thing works thought I just did it and instantly felt everything relax. Thanks Butterflyblue!
    8Tinkerboo8

Comment by 8Tinkerboo8 (original poster) at 3:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• acupuncture
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 3:57 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I am having the same problem. I talked to my dentist about it and he said sometimes mouth guards work but are mainly just annoying. I think we just have to train ourselves to not do it. He also mentioned to not rest your head on your hand and eat thick bread, might irritate the jaw.
    TravelFiend

Answer by TravelFiend at 1:39 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Yeah the mouth guards and a huge pain in the ass, they make my gums hurt and I've ground through 2 sets so far PLUS I spit them out at night (which I always did with my retainer when I had braces as a teen as well). So far - Butterfly Blue's tip about her tongue has helped me consciously during the day.
    8Tinkerboo8

Comment by 8Tinkerboo8 (original poster) at 9:47 AM on Apr. 8, 2011