How much would you charge?

i have 3 kids of my own. i'm supposed to watch a friend of a friends' 3 year old for the summer, 5 days a week. could be full or half day, not sure yet. my friend thought $10 an hr... what would you charge?

juliness

Asked by juliness at 3:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

• you can see what the going rate in your area is at care.com. It starts at $10/hr and goes up from there around here (near DC)
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:28 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• For one kids 10 bucks an hour... wow thats awesome. Take it. When its long term like that they usually do 5-7 an hour.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 3:46 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Depends on what the going rate is in your area. Here people pay $25 per day for child care. It varies ALOT depending on where you live.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:46 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Is the child potty trained? If not I would charge a lot more. If so, I think $5-$7 an hour should be enough.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• The average full-time weekly rate in my area is between $160 & $200.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:48 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• That's a lot. I would charge depending on what her income is. If she's hard on cash then she wouldn't be able to afford $10/hr. If she's not then maybe you could get away with charging that much. I only made 7.50/hr at my job and for 3 kids I had a sitter who I loved and only paid $40 a day (but it was only one saturday a month for 6 hrs). You could always charge a weekly rate instead. See what the daycare centers in your area charge and find a happy medium for both of you.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 3:48 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• i guess i should have specified that i live in an uppity area. i couldn't afford to pay that but i figured even for a half day, $50 is pretty nice to get, especially under the table
    juliness

Comment by juliness (original poster) at 3:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I would feel guilty taking $10. She would have to have a pretty damn good job to be able to afford it and take home much of a paycheck. That would eat almost half my pay.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 3:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I would go with $10/hr. or at least 8. if you go less any less than your making less than a childcare provider would. Im going to be working as an assistant teacher at a child development center and that is what my STARTING pay is, and that is with NO experience in a childcare setting. Anything less than 8 is just slave labor.
    RainbowMom132

Answer by RainbowMom132 at 3:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• It is completely fair
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 3:52 PM on Apr. 1, 2011