How many pitbull breeds are there?

I see so many different looking pits....just how many breeds are there?

hotchocolatema1

Asked by hotchocolatema1 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Pets

• too many
    Anonymous

• Pitbulls are the breed there are just several different coat patterns and colors. And since there is no real AKC for them there is no 'standard' look when breeding them.
    Anonymous

• Pit bulls are not a specific breed. People breed them to get certain colors and what not. My son has a pit so I have had to do some research on them. Here are some good web sites about their "breeds".
    http://www.thedogpark.com/articles/dog-breeds/pit-bull-breeds/index.php

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/breedinfo.html

Answer by gemgem at 4:04 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• the only true Pit Bull is the American Pit Bull Terrier. They are recognized by the UKC and ARBA. Too many people have taken it upon themselves to call numerous other breeds pit bulls-in lower case since it is generalized. A true APBT is a medium sized dog, not some monster size, that is a mixed breed that they have mixed and then bred back to the Pit Bull.
    pitbull4me

Answer by pitbull4me at 8:00 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Like pitbull4me said, "pitbull" is not actually a breed. It's a term that's typically used to group 3 breeds of dog: American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, and Staffordshire Bull Terrier.
    I have an APBT and when I take him out I am frequently asked "What kind of pitbull is that?" It's almost always an uneducated idiot that asks this question and every time it makes me want to claw my eyes out. I always reply that he is an American Pit Bull Terrier and then they say something idiotic like "Ya, but what KIND of pit bull?" His color is brindle but that does not make him a brindle pit bull. That has nothing to do with his breed. If you ever see a "breeder" trying to sell their "blue nosed pits"... this person is a good example of a backyard breeder and idiot. Do not ever buy from people like that.
    Can you tell you hit my sensitive spot with this question? lol
    ANL221

Answer by ANL221 at 6:41 PM on Apr. 5, 2011