Is this "bad" behavior or typical toddler behavior?

Age: 23 months,girl

Not much impulse control.If its in her hands, it will eventually get thrown.If she sees it, she wants it, she gets it (no matter if she's told not to)
At an appointment in an office, she runs over, rips the top off the receptionists printer,climbs on top of the desk of another worker and messes with the computer, climbs up on a chair and whacks at a picture in an attempt to get it to swing back and forth..or fall down(who knows what she was thinking,lol).
She floats like a bumble bee from one thing to the next, does not stop moving unless physically redirected.
Breaks many things.
Hits.
Bites.
Takes toys from other children and screams.
Throws herself onto the floor screaming when she doesnt get her way.

Bad behavior or typical? and either way..HOW DO WE GET IT TO STOP?
lol
thankyou.
:)
(p.s. just for the record..this isnt MY child..this is a precious little girl I babysit and LOVE very much...we just need to get this one figured out,lol)

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 4:09 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Normal . Look at her and start making your rules listen. you will need patience and repiting words and no words. work from the start shes a walking discover girl...good luck
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 4:17 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• She's VERY spoiled. Hasn't been made to mind, sounds like. Since she's not your child, there's not a whole lot you can do except to get a halter and leash for her. They sell them at Penny's and maybe a few other major stores now. I had to have one for one of my grandsons.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 4:16 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• My 23 month old doesn't act like that at all. Sounds like she hasn't been tought how to behave or had consistant discipline. Good luck!
    H.I.S.

Answer by H.I.S. at 4:20 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• If I had to guess, I would say maybe ADHD. Has she been tested for it? Or it sounds like she doesn't receive much in the way of guidance or structure. Does anyone ever tell this child no and stick with it? Does she have any consequences for her behavior? GL!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:20 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I HIGHLY recommend reading "Raising Your Spirited Child".

It sounds like your daughter is normal...but HIGH energy...I should know, I was and my son is :)
    They have MORE energy, MORE impulses and tend to get into "trouble".
    Also, a child under 5 should not be diagnosed with ADD/ADHD...and any real doctor would NOT diagnose that young. HOWEVER, I would look into what she eats and the routine in the day. Things that have helped me and friends of mine with similarly tempered children:
    -Make sure you get OUT to play..every day...or at the very least...active play
    -NO preservatives, NO artificial food dyes, organic when possible. Think of it as investment medicine, so you'll never have to buy ritalin (or whathaveyou) MOST explosive behaviors tied to ADD/ADHD are linked to FOOD. There was a recent study done too, though this has been known since the late 1980s.
    -Keep her routine predictable each day. Meal time, bed time
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 4:38 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• sorry...I missed the "not your daughter" part...but all the same...If you are working with this child, you should read that book! And then you can casually talk to the mom about it :)

It is SO helpful and offers some GREAT methods of working things and understanding the child.
    Children DO have naturally different temperaments. I'm so sick of people saying "well MY child doesn't behave like that, so you must be spoiling him"...some kids are just MORE of one thing or another. I've met plenty of little ones who seem boring to me...and just kinda walk around and don't talk. If I judged them, I might think they were "slow" or something, because "my child" has been a chatter box since he was 2. Kids really are different. Just keep an open mind.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 4:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• That is NOT normal behavior. If she throws something then she should not be allowed to touch/hold/play with that item again, that goes for everything.
    Honestly, I would skin her hide if my daughter pulled half of that
    RISE_N_SHINE

Answer by RISE_N_SHINE at 10:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• That sounds right. Dose she have enough toys to play with? Do you spend one on one time with her? Could she have allergies to a food or drink?

Glo402813

Answer by Glo402813 at 2:52 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• I have a good feeling that her mama thinks most things she does is more cute than anything and doesnt really discipline. She does have consequences for her behavior at my house..and generally speaking..I've gotten her to be pretty good here most days but once we are out in public on a trip with the kids...forget it.
    It stinks ..because I really do like taking them out to get out of the house and do fun things but when shes so crazy it makes it less fun for everyone else because I have to keep running after her.
    I don't know what to do..with my 2 year old she doesnt act like that..we've always corrected her bad behavior right from the beginning so there was none of this to deal with, with her.
    crazy.pure craziness,LOL.
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Apr. 1, 2011