Any moms of teen boys out there know good natural remedies for acne?

jaelless

Asked by jaelless at 4:28 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• What about diet changes?
    Vitamins?
    not natural but what about proactive?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:31 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• in addition to the above, there are topical creams now that are really helpful with salicylic acid (I spelled that wrong) but your GP can prescribe it and it helps enormously.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• tried proactive and his doc gave us cream tha didn't work. I have heard vitamin A is good, but can't find that in just a pill form.
    jaelless

Comment by jaelless (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• vitamin C and vitamin E. i use a natural facial soap that feels fantastic (and i have oily dry skin still)... i can't remember the name, but i've found in general that no matter how many face soaps and astringents i tried in regular stores it would make it worse. i think half the acne was a reaction to the chemicals. try going to whole foods, or a natural store to find a soap or facial cleanser that has the most natural ingredients and see if that helps anything.
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 4:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• This isn't a natural remedy but I recently tried AcneFree, they sell it at Wal mart and it worked a million times better for me then proactvie or anything else I tried even prescription pills and creams. GL!
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 5:21 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Avoid dairy - it is a huge culprit.
    Try using Sebulex shampoo as a face wash (it has salicylic acid).
    Zinc is great for the skin but don't just start supplementing with that because it can cause a zinc/copper imbalance ... only do it under a doctor's care.

These things work fabulously for DS; nothing his dermatologist did (special creams, antibiotics, proactive, etc.) worked at all.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Try vitamin B5.

The child should also take a good multivitamin, but mega doses of B5 taken with each meal will improve most acne within a week, and clear it up in 2 -3 weeks. The down side: he will probably have to keep taking it this way for a year or more, and he MUST be consistent with it. It is sometimes called the natural alternative to acutane. I was gonna include a link, but there are so many articles and ads for this, it's best you do a little research first. No particular brand needed. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 3:58 PM on Apr. 2, 2011