5 mos old hit his head!

My sitter took my 5 mos old to the store...put his car seat on the buggy where children sit...she thought it was locked into place, but it wasn't, so when she turned a corner, the car seat fell. The sitter called in a panic, letting me know that she was on her way to the ER. Thankfully, the ER is across the street from my work, so I was able to meet her there. When they arrive, my son was acting totally normal, and after learning of a 45 min wait, I called his Pediatrician who advised me that if he was acting fine & didn't have a bloody eye, that Tylenol and TLC would be enough. All he's left w is a line-bruise across his forehead and cheek where his face hit the handle. I'm pretty sure he's going to be fine, but of course the sitter and I worry about any brain probs...I'm not sure if I should worry and take him to the ER tonight, wait until the morning, or just keep an eye on him@ home?

nappeal

Asked by nappeal at 4:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would have stayed at the E.R.
    I'm suprised your pediatrician advised you of that over the phone.
    I'm glad he was acting normal!! But you never know...that is awfully young to have such a fall. Poor baby. :(
    I hope he's okay!!!! Hugs mama! I know how worried you must be!
    Better to be safe than sorry.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:38 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Just keep an eye on him at home. *hugs* Babies are surprisingly resiliant when it comes to falling. My husband and I joke that "babies bounce". We have six kids and there have been more falls and "oopsies" than I can even think. It's normal to worry, but there's nothing they can do at the ER that you can't do at home: just watch him and if he acts strange, take him in. But that's very unlikely. I'm sure he'll be fine.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 4:38 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Gosh, you poor little guy. I'm a worrier, so my advice would be take him to the ER b/c you are going to be worrying all night if he's okay and if you should have stayed at the ER. Worst case it'll be some reassurance for you when they tell you he's fine :)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 4:42 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• aw poor guy. but it is true that if he's acting normal there's not too much you can do (though i know i'm gonna get some down voting for that, whatever). kids bonk heads all the time. really you just keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't go to sleep for a couple hours (just in case of concussion). the ER is at the most going to do an xray, and look at how responsive he is. if he's responsive and acting normal they would send you home and tell you to watch him.
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 4:46 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• the pediatrition knows what she/he is talking about... Keep your eye on him throughout the night, im sure ge will be fine. If there was somthing to worry about, the doctors wouldnt be telling you he will be okay. Babies are strong, hang in there mommy.
    dfwhite

Answer by dfwhite at 4:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I'm not a medical professional, but there are many in my family. They always said to watch them overnight of any behavior that is considered abnormal.
    Either way I'd at least take him to the MD, not a fan or ERs unless you have no choice since they get so busy and it takes forever to get in and IMO they are jaded since they see so many terrible things, they can miss a lot.
    Anonymous

• take him to his pediatrition for a follow up. i worry to much. my daughter sees hers a lot.
    minki111

Answer by minki111 at 6:28 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• as long as he isnt acting funny, throwing up, or sleeping a lot more than usual, he should be alright. make an appointment or take him to a local clinic tomarrow and wake him up ever couple of hrs.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 11:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I'm sorry! I'm sure he's fine though. I've bonked my 6 month old's head on her car seat and swing, once on her bedroom door =/
    She didn't even cry. She acts normal, and didn't seem to even be phased by it. Just keep an eye on him.
    JustCantWait88

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 4:56 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I know you are worrying, but if hes acting fine your doctor is right in his suggestion. If you take him to the er they will either do the same they did early (probably with an eye roll or two toward you) and send you home, or give him an MRI.. now with a baby that young they may want to put him under to do that so he holds still, and that's a lot of pressure and stress to put him under. Really IMO the best thing to do, is stay with him tonight and take him in for a follow up with his pediatrician in the morning. Chances are he's probably fine. Babies can be surprizingly strong..
    in the mean time.. watch his eyes for not focusing properly, watch for vomiting, acts of dizziness, changes in eatting habits, excessive crying.. those are really the warning signs that you need to watch for.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:53 PM on Apr. 2, 2011