Can you help me answer this question!?

We are putting our house on the market this fall, we are selling it to buy another house closer to DH's work. Registration here for Kindergarten is usually in January, and we have no idea if the house will be sold by then, or if we'll even be looking for a new house in the new city yet. So I will probably plan on registering my son for Kindergarten here, in the town we are currently in.

Here is my question: Because Kindergarten in not mandatory in Colorado, if we end up moving before the school year starts, or even in the middle of the year, will the schools in the new city be required to accept my son? Or will he be put on a waiting list if the classes are full, and possibly NOT get to go to or complete kindergarten?

I ask because Preschool is not required here either, and once classes are full, you are put on a waiting list and you just have to hope for an opening for the school year. I have tried calling SEVERAL elementary schools in the city we are moving to, and have not been able to get a hold of a person, and have not received a single call back.

I appreciate any help or direction on how to find the answer to this...

MichaelsMom330

Asked by MichaelsMom330 at 4:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in

• If you know which school district you will be moving to, I would just call and ask what their process is for this type of situation. I'm in GA and kindergarten is not mandatory here either, but anyone who wants to enroll for K (which is most everybody) is able to with no waiting list. Now the free Pre-K is a little different, but not kindergarten. But again, I would call or e-mail the district and inquire.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:54 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• i would imagine if the state that you are moving to has mandatory kindergarden then there will be NO waiting list. It's not like preschool where it's a option. Preschool is really just to get the kids ready for kindergarden. I hope that helps
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 5:01 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Thank you vicesix. I had tried calling a few of the Elementary Schools, but wasn't getting a live person to talk to, and no calls back yet. I didn't think to call the school district. Of course, when I did, it rang forever and eventually ended in a busy dial tone. I did find their website and sent them an email asking for a phone call. We'll see if I get anywhere with that...

amberpaiz, it is NOT mandatory in Colorado for kids to go to Kindergarten, that's why I'm so concerned about it...
    MichaelsMom330

Comment by MichaelsMom330 (original poster) at 5:14 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Hopefully someone will get back to you, but if not, keep trying. You'll eventually get someone on the line...you know how that government red tape is :-)
    Good luck!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:16 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• It's not mandatory here either in MO. But they figure it like regular classes and we always have transfer students and new ones all the time. Most places I've lived school isn't mandatory until age 7.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 1:56 PM on Apr. 3, 2011

• If you know which school district you will be moving to, I would just call and ask what their process is for this type of situation. I'm in GA and kindergarten is not mandatory here either, but anyone who wants to enroll for K (which is most everybody) is able to with no waiting list. Now the free Pre-K is a little different, but not kindergarten. But again, I would call or e-mail the district and inquire
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 2:13 PM on May. 20, 2011

Next question in
I don't know what to do......

Next question overall (Money & Work)
Wanting to help.