I this normal?????

My four year old is always talking about peeing and pooping and farting... at the table, during a movie, at the store, where ever he can.. its like he is obsest with talking about it... I cant count how many times a day i remind him that the talk is only appropriate at certain times. How do i get through to him? and is it normal for him to be talking about it all the time?

dfwhite

Asked by dfwhite at 4:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't know if its normal, but I know my son goes through phases ( he is almost 3-1/2 ) where he gets obsessed with talking about diapers which was weird to me cause ti was often and at weird times and if he saw a diaper he'd have to look at it and touch it and then talk about it - thank goodness he's almost done with that -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:56 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• i hope so, i am CONSTANTLY telling my 3.5 and 5 year old to cut out the potty talk. it's like having beavis and butthead for children. "poop" huhuhuhuhuh "fart" huhuhuhuhuh "fart on a face" huhuhuhuhuh "stinky butt" huhuhuhuh. i think half the appeal is that i don't want them saying it. sigh.
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 4:58 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Tell him if he talks about it at the table, he will be excused to go to his room. If he talks about it in public, he will spend time in the corner when you get home. He's pushing your buttons. Whatever you tell him punishment will be, stick to your guns.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 4:59 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• It's normal :) It's a boy thing!

I swear it's in their blood.

I would correct him at the dinner table - tell him it's not proper table manners to talk about stuff like that while everyone is eating. But other than that I wouldn't make a huge deal about it.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 5:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• so normal... I just say "that's gross" and give them the mom look and leave it alone. If you don't make a big deal out of it, the funny will go away.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 7:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Yep, my son likes poopy and and pee too! He's now into buttcrack thanks to his father.
    BWIND

Answer by BWIND at 10:57 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• totally normal, and it's not just boys. especially if they've recently finished potty training. My 4 yo would wait until we were in a crowded store and then ask loudly if i had to poop! lol. Try not to make too big a deal about it, that just gives them fuel for the fire.
    mommatara1268

Answer by mommatara1268 at 12:40 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I had to tell my son it was mine and his secret and noone was suppose to know but us so finally he started saying i have a secret it was funny when he kept telling everyone
    angelsmurf1989

Answer by angelsmurf1989 at 12:12 PM on Apr. 3, 2011