My 10 year old is getting chubby...what can I do?! :(

her name is Nadine, and she is our "little princess"! <3
two years ago, she was perfectly normal! then all of a sudden... I don't know what happened! I put her in swimming class, soccer practice, and I watch what she eats...but nothing is helping....
maybe now, because she is young- kids aren't too cruel
but I don't want her to grow up over weight and be teased
and it doesnt make any sence, because my 8 year old(just a YEAR younger) NEVER STOPS EATING, and he is a string bean!!!(lol)
well, he's also extrememly hyperactive, so THAT might be it....
but anyway, does anyone have any tips?
any ways to help her lose weight SECRETLY? by that, I mean- I don't want to tell my NINE year old "you need to lose weight"
that is horrible! :(
so any food tips? or extra ways to get excersize?
please help!!!!!

mommywith4kids

Asked by mommywith4kids at 5:04 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• i would keep a food journal for her. it may be an allergy or something. maybe talk to the pediatrician
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 5:06 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Make it a family thing. I would say, "Our family is working to stay healthy so we will be eating healthier and we will be doing (fill in the blank with a physical activity) every day for 30 minutes.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 5:07 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• i would talk to her doctor it could be more.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 5:08 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Has she had a physical done lately? It wouldn't hurt to have her looked over by a dr to see if any underlying issues could be causing the problem, like an underactive thyroid. Plus the dr may have some recommendations.

Make sure she's getting lots of lean protein and drinking plenty of water.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:09 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I know around 5th grade, I went through a 1-2 year stint where I was at a stand still growth wise so I felt like I gained weight but sprouted back in to thin ( back then of course) once I hit 7th - 8th grade.. BOys and girls metabolism is different and so are kids individually so it doesn't work to compare..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Some people just have slower metabolisms than others. Have her be as active as possible, cut out all junk, and watch her portions. Don't mention it to her now. Do what you can to control the situation.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:11 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I agree with other mother. The whole family needs to be involved, so she is not singled out. Get rid of all processed goodies, ice cream, high sugar, soda, white flour, fried foods, chips, etc., for the whole house. If there is nothing physical going on with her, that switch should set her back to normal weight range. It will send the wrong message to her if you just exclude her from those . . . so everyone has to make the change.

ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:12 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Could be she's just built that way. our daughters are as different as night and day one is skinny and the other chubby. But both are alright according to DR.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 7:07 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• It could be puberty. I have nine and ten year old girls and they are in the beginning stages of puberty. We all know the hormone changes of puberty it does all kinds of thing to our body.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 10:02 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• If you have already looked at the family diet, know that she is active... then just let it be. I believe that its actually normal to get some weight gain b/f a strech. So her body is prob getting ready to go into puberty....
    and don't compare the two... they are two diff girls with prob. two diff. body types.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2011