Am I over reacting or should i be worried about my daughter's behavior?

My daughter is 5 years old and for as long as I can remember has had a problem with her temper along with not being able to force on a movie more then a few minutes before she is up and running or playing with a toy and then on somedays she is a loner and would rither play by herself when others she is begging her brother or sister to play with her I am concerned that maybe she needs some extra help of some kind but really don't know where to start n is hoping that maybe one of u ladies have some clue on what I am going thur n can help me I have tried the whole walking away from the rages and not paying her any attention I am at wits end and I feel bad cause I don't know what to do to help her...any advise is welcome thank you

emilyam1

Asked by emilyam1 at 5:18 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I don't think you can ever over react when ti comes to your child. I would bring your concerns to her Doctor and maybe spend a week documenting how severe it gets or what happens on a typical week and see what the DR thinks.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:20 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I have no advice only an observation. This sounds very similar to my daughter at that age and she has been since diagnosed with bipolar. I am sure there are many reasons for her to possibly doing this but in my opinion it is just trial and error. May not be 1 thing that will work every day? Sorry no help! lol
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 5:23 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Thank u I will do that they r on spring break next week so it will be a good time for me to keep track thanks for the idea.
    emilyam1

Comment by emilyam1 (original poster) at 5:23 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I feel like I am always recommending this book..."Raising Your Spirited Child" by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka
    My library has it, so you may even be able to get it at yours to take a look. I find it IMMENSELY helpful and there is good stuff in there even if your child is not within the parameters.
    It offers some check lists and ways to tell if your child is just "spirited" or may have a real "issue" that needs professional help. There can feel like a fine line at times, but it's all in the managing of these things I think. There is some real advice as to how to talk to them, ways to handle your own stress.
    Good luck!
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 5:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I have two sons with ADHD and that was a big problem with them, sporadic emotions, anger and overwhelming physical happiness like jumping up and down and exaggerated facial expressions. I noted dates, times and activity along with emotional outbursts and talked to my doctor about it. I got two different doctors, both had the same opinion, ADHD. So, Ritalin or Concerta were prescribed for each child and it really helped to regulate the emotions and not just bursts of anger or joy. They learned to FOCUS better and pay more attention in school. The only downside was the decrease in appetite. I mean, there was ZERO appetite once they took their meds, so eat first. I would take them off it during the summer months during spring break/summer break just to fatten them up a bit; they're overly skinny. Realistically all I could get them to add was 3 - 5 pounds and it's wear off once they got back into school and routine. Good luck! :)
    Droyal14u

Answer by Droyal14u at 5:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• mood swings have various causes, have u ever tried being really friendly with her, for awhile try spending time with out tv .only the two of you together,sometimes children cant express their feelings ,they behave strangely to attract attention,go out to the park ,without
    the othe r siblings,just u and her,watch her carefully ,take complete interest in her activities, and then perhaps u can sort out something.good luck!
    doctormom2011

Answer by doctormom2011 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 2, 2011