Security Systems

Our neighbors that live 2 houses up from us, got robbed last Friday evening. Our neighbors at the far end of the street got robbed last fall. It goes without saying that we are VERY freaked out now, especially since my husband works nights. We want to get a security system and are wondering which is the best way to go, do it yourself, or through one of the remote monitoring companies. My husband was an electrician in the Navy for 8 and a half years, and I'm sure he could hook up a system. I'm just wondering if it is worth the money every month to go with one of the companies ( ADT, Brinks,etc) Those of you that have systems, what do you have and do you like it?

Bethsunshine

Asked by Bethsunshine at 5:31 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I personally would go through a company and pay the extra.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 5:46 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I had ADT ran about $50 a month including the landline I had to have for it. Well worth it, since I lived in the heart of the city.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I have a dog that would die trying to protect me. I would probably still be freaked out if my neighbor's house got broken into. I would go with someone like ADT if I was going to get a home security system.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 11:43 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• We have ADT; absolutely love it. The cost is more than manageable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Anonymous, how much is your monthly cost?
    Bethsunshine

Comment by Bethsunshine (original poster) at 11:18 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Could always get a gaurd dog. But a security system is good if you don't want a pet.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 11:43 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• We've had a security system for years. Right now we have ADT. Both my sisters have similar systems. (The rates vary by area and size of home/# of openings wired.)

One sister, who lives in a gated community, got burglarized even with the guard at the gate and her security system on. It was a relative of a neighbor. He broke in through a back window, grabbed her laptop with the alarm ringing, and ran out the front door. I bring this up to point out that nothing is completely secure, but you are probably safer with some kind of security.

Recently on the news, I've seen stories about people whose burglars/robbers are caught because the victim installed their own system with cameras that they can monitor from their smart phones or office pc. If your DH is good with electronics, you may want to look into something like that. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 2:30 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• It has been proven that people who break into houses do not go into the ones with big dogs because they know there is always one without one they can break into. But to answer the question I would go with a service and pay the money
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 4:24 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Go with the security system. Research which one you like the most and go with it.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 5:12 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• We have two dogs,one of which is a rottweiler mix. What concerns me is when we go on vacation, because the dogs will be at a friend's house.
    Bethsunshine

Comment by Bethsunshine (original poster) at 6:25 PM on Apr. 2, 2011