Co-sleeping

i think i have created a bad habbit... My little girl is now 2 months old and had been sleeping with me since she was born (she was born 2 weeks early and seemed to be the only way to comfort her) now i am thinking i created a bad habbit. My first child slept in his own crib and for the life of me i can not get her to sleep in her bassinet. She can be dead asleep and with in 20 minutes of being in her bassinet she wakes up... and it seems to be the only way i can get sleep.. i'm ready to face the music and do what it takes to undo this habbit i am creating.. any mothers have any advice on how i can start to get her to sleep in her own bed? Please and thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If it is time for a long sleep and she has been well fed let her cry a little when she wakes. See if she can get back to sleep on her own. Are you swaddling her? That might help too. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• mines 7 months old and still sleeping with me, my first slept with me too then once she didn't wake up anymore to nurse she slept in her own bed just fine. And still does shes two now.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 2:25 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Co-sleeping is great if your BF or if your practicing attachment parenting. However, if your not sleeping well or you just don't want her to sleep with you, then slowly start having her sleep in the bassinet. Naps, and maybe half the night to begin with? Everytime she wakes up, just rock her/feed her/change her and then put her back in the bassinet. Good luck!
    bentleysmommy11

Answer by bentleysmommy11 at 12:53 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• i cosleep with both my kids, and i plan to cosleep with future children. my kids now sleep in their own rooms
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:57 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• You have not created a bad habit. Babies are hard wired to not be left alone to sleep. You just got lucky with your first! There are actually lots of benefits to continuing to co-sleep. Great article here: http://www.theconnectedmom.com/2011/03/four-lies-sleep-trainers-tell-you-and.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:42 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• It doesn't bother me at all, i sleep better when she is in bed with me.. and we atucally bought a king size bed becuase i was scared i would roll over on her... i have been getting put down from friends and family for her sleeping with me. Thank you ladies! ;) and i will read that artile too maggiemom2000... i personally do not think there is anything wrong with her sleeping with me.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I moved DD to her crib at 2 months...she's been fine, but every once in a while needs to be near me. Just keep trying...I bought a mobil and a projector, which she loves. I also have a light up musical seahorse, and the light amuses her until she falls asleep. She takes a pacifier too once she's fed, and has a blanket dog she cuddles with.
    JustCantWait88

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 4:50 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• i cosleep with dd 22 mts and ds 18 mts, yeah family and friends gave me alot of crap about it but i didnt care
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:56 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I coslept with my first and am co sleeping with my second. It's really up to you if you want to continue or stop now. The transition will be the same whether they are 2 months or a year old. So do what you feel you are more comfortable doing.

but if you want to move her, do it in stages, start with naps for one week, then slowly the night.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:58 PM on Apr. 2, 2011