Why do I even bother?

I like nail polish I really do but why of why do I insist on putting it on when I know that either the same day or the next day it WILL chip and I don't mean just a little bit ( which I wouldn't mind) but like a huge chunk is missing!! I even tired putting clear nail polish as the first coat and then putting the color I want as the next coat then another coat of color followed up by the clear stuff but still it comes off.

I understand that it will chip but dammit I would like it to last a least 2 days before it chips in huge chunks!

jnb71584

Asked by jnb71584 at 5:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Have you tried lightly filing the nails in one direction before you put polish on to help it stick? And always add a good clear coat as well. Your nails can NOT be buffed and smooth when applying polish or it will just chip or peel off. Also, try using rubbing alcahoal on your nails before you polish to remove any oils on your nails.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:38 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• If your hands are in and out of the water; washing your hands, or washing dishes or laundry, that weakens the polish. Using the rubber gloves will make your nail polish last longer. I know if feels silly wearing them, but the upside is also that you can use hotter water as it won't burn your skin with the gloves on. Also, if you go to the nail salon and get a manicure, they could put this stuff called "gel nail" over the color and it'll last longer. It's thicker than regular clear coat and won't chip as easily.
    Droyal14u

Answer by Droyal14u at 5:52 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• If I was you I would start with a base coat over your natural nail, not just a clear polish, but actually a base coat. After that, apply your polish and maybe pick one that adheres to a higher standard. OPI is wonderful and so is Nars. Then, when your done, use a top coat. You might want to head to your local Sally's and pick up a professional one there. There is also a brand at Ulta and for the life of me, I can't think of the name of it, but it lasts for up to two weeks and doesn't chip. It will completely peel off or something like that. My mom tried it and said that it was one of the best that she has used. You might want to go in and try it out. It would definitely be better than having lots of chips. :)
    crystac

Answer by crystac at 10:27 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I always have this problem too. I would love to paint my nails more often, but I would like the color to stay for a few days before it chips off. I also think a great quality nail polish is important. I like Revlon from the drug store, but my absolute favorite brand is O.P.I.. I have found that this nail polish has so many colors and it lasts longer than other polishes.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 8:03 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Clean your bare nails with nail polish remover before you apply your base coat. Apply a very thin layer of base coat. Let dry completely. Next, apply 2 VERY THIN layers of polish. Less is more when it comes to the amount of polish you use. This prevents it from getting too thick and subsequent;y peeling off prematurely. When polish is dry to the touch (lightly pat your pinkie nail to make sure), apply your top coat. Use your hair dryer to dry your nails, first on high for 3 minutes (this will make the chemicals evaporate so your polish dries faster). Then, switch the dryer to the cool setting and dry for an additional 5 minutes. This will dry them to a shiny finish.

KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 9:21 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• i hate it think us women should invent a polish that never fades or chips but comes off easy when you are ready for it to come off and doesnt stain your nails
    goobersmom713

Answer by goobersmom713 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I will have to try that!! Thanks
    jnb71584

Comment by jnb71584 (original poster) at 5:42 PM on Apr. 1, 2011