What do you think?

My 15 mo old dd sleeps ALOT, even at daycare. She goes to bed at 7pm sleeps all night until around 6-6:30 (I wake her up then usually to get ready, on the weekends she sleeps until 8 or so). She wakes up eats breakfast and is ready for nap. At daycare she stays up until noon. THen she will take a 3-4 hour nap. After she wakes up from that nap she just acts sleepy, still rubbing her eyes and being grumpy. We have tired cutting it short thinking maybe she was sleeping too long, but then she is just a BEAR to deal with the rest of the day. She comes home and I could probably put her to bed at 5:30 or 6 most nights, but I try to get her to stay up until 7. On top of the sleeping alot and always seeming sleepy she is always so cold. Evne when she is bundled up nice and warm she is still freezing. Her daycare provider mentioned today that maybe I should get her thyroid checked. I did some research and the being cold and sleepy are two symptoms of it as well as being frequently consipated (which happens about once a week), she also has dry birttle hair and dry flaky skin, but she she's mixed so I kind of expected that anyways, and it's inherited, my mom has hypothyroidism and my doctor thinks I do too, but our insurance won't cover the test. But it said the main factor is slow growth, which DD doesn't have at all. She is 33 inches and 21lbs, according to the growth charts she is a little underweight, but this child eats everything she can get her hands on. So right now I'm just not sure if I should bring it up with her doctor or not. We don't have isnurance and don't qualify for medicad and I know it's a really expensive test. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• Have her checked. All the things you mention are definitely symptoms, even the flaky skin. Google your state's website and search it well for health care possibilities. Most have womens' care so i would think they offer care for children too.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:50 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• If you are in the US, your child should be covered. Call your local social service department and go in to sign your daughter up. You can also take her to a free or low cost county clinic in your area. They will have pediactric times to assign to you, and you just need to call and make an appt.

You should definately mention her symptoms. Many very serious disorders such as Type I Diabetes, Cancer, Mateabolic issues can present like that, and you don't want to give any of those time to damage her body.

Let the doctor assess her.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:56 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Yes, I would check that.

My 18-month-old usually sleeps about 12 hours at night and then takes two 1-hour to 1 1/2-hour naps during the day (we're just getting to the point where i think he might be ready to transition to one nap). So it might not hurt to let her take a second nap during the day and see if that helps. But the being cold thing... I would definintely get it checked, and good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 6:00 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Maybe low iron.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 8:16 PM on Apr. 1, 2011