What happens if I don't pick up the medicine prescribed by the pediatrician?

My daughter has a runny nose, nothing else, no fever, no coughing and the crazy doctor prescribed antibiotics. I refuse to give her antibiotics for a runny nose. And I told him, but he didn't listen. So he called in the prescription with the pharmacy. SO now it's sitting there with my daughter's name on it. Will the doctor find out that I didn't pick it up? Will the pharmacy call me and make me pay for it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nothing. And no the doctor won't find out. It will just sit there. The pharmacy will call you once or twice but if you don't pick it up they just re shelve it.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:05 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• The pharmacy will call you but won't force you to pick it up or charge you, but if you do not trust your pediatrician why go to him?

Answer by older at 6:06 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• No. They will just put it back on the shelf. If you don't want it, you can call the pharm and tell them.

It is weird that anti-biotics were prescribed. Are you certain that there wasn't a positive strep culture, ear infection, sinus infection or something else going on? Before making the decision not to treat, I might call the doc to discuss with him. If he has a concrete reason for prescribing, he will let you know. Usually, they tend to be very careful about the meds.

You just don't want the possibility that you refused meds when something bacterial was growing. That might get you in trouble.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:07 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I've had the pharmacy call me because I didn't pick one up, i don't think the doctor ever knew though.

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 6:07 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• if you dont pick it up witin 7 days they put it back on the shelf or dispose of it if it is a liquid. The Dr will not know that you didnt pick it up. I know all about these things. I worked for Dr's before I became a stay at home mom. They will call you 2-3 times max to pick it up and after that they dont bother.
    MAMAPANCAMO

Answer by MAMAPANCAMO at 6:16 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Is her runny nose green? Maybe he thought she could have a sinus infection starting. If you think your doctor is crazy then get a second opinion. I have noticed that doctors do no perscribe antibiotics if not necessary. If he perscribed it there has to be a reason for it.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 6:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Doctor's prescribe unnecessary antibiotics all the time!! Why do you think we have so many drug resistant infections in our country right now? Your daughter is probably fine. Even if her nose is running greenish, if there's no other symptoms, you're pretty safe just letting her body fight it the way the body was meant to. I don't blame you for not wanting to give her antibiotics. And who cares if her doctor finds out you didn't give them, it's good for a doctor to remember who's boss! ;)
    Oh, P.S. I'm a nurse.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 6:29 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I have noticed that it depends on the doctor's office, but there seem to be too many over-eager doctors writing prescriptions that are unnecessary. Antibiotics seem to be the number one over-written prescription! Just my opinion, but why are doctors so eager to load us up on antibiotics that we may not even need? Especially when it's a little one.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 6:31 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I would probably pick it up to save myself a doctor visit later on...probably bad advice, I know.

But no, they don't call the doctor, they will just put it back into stock if you don't pick it up.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:50 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• hey it never hurts to have extra antibiotics in house, hell i'd take them i have a gum infection and no insurance. i'd just get it.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2011