How do you potty train a 3 yr old autistic boy?

My son is almost 4 and isn't potty trained. He is interested and runs to the toilet if I say "you gotta pee pee in the potty?" I take his diaper off and he sticks it over the toilet like he is going to but nothing happens then. I haven't tried to do the poopy training yet? any suggestions?

alicia37863

Asked by alicia37863 at 6:17 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I got rid of the diapers and put him in real underwear. I kept him in real underwear and the moment he wet or pooped, I took him to the bathroom right away. I also talked about the bathroom, got him books and we used rewards. It was harder with him, but it eventually worked. Good luck!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:22 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• My 13 yr old is also autistic. I did same as mentioned above no in between! Threw out diapers and he didn't like the feel of being wet! Also he didn't stand because but did well sitting for a looooooong time! lol
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 6:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• thanks so much ladies
    alicia37863

Comment by alicia37863 (original poster) at 6:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• have him teach a favorite stuffed animal/toy to go potty. also make sure the enviroment is not too overstimulating/exciting. also help him understand that it is neccasry function dont make it to abstract so that he cant grasp the idea of it. sink the cheerio was something i tried but was to fun this has to be business to them, also if he is on a schedule when its his time sit him up on his throne ;) if he goes great if not try again next hour.
    bethany0199

Answer by bethany0199 at 6:46 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Autistic kids are notoriously difficult to potty train. In general, I think boys are harder to potty train than girls. The ladies have posted some excellent techniques, but, every child is different. What works for him might not be what worked for the next kid. Sounds like you are doing the right things. Keep it up and he will eventually conquer this. Good luck to both of you!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 9:50 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• with my son i had to put cheerios in the toilet and told him when he pees he has to hit as many as he can and that got him going in the potty
    angelsmurf1989

Answer by angelsmurf1989 at 12:08 PM on Apr. 3, 2011