How can I stop my 2yr. old from biting other children?

He is almost ready to get booted out of daycare because of his constant biting...The daycare hands are tied because they are only allowed by state to give him a time out...He DOES NOT bite at home, its only other kids at daycare

dirosee

Asked by dirosee at 6:18 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get him a shadow ASAP. I used to work in the 2 year old room of a daycare. This is the age where children bite for various reasons. Most likely is out of frustration. "Jimmy" stole your son's toy while he was playing with it and your son does not have the verbal to say "Give that back!"; so he bites instead.

A shadow is one specific teacher that follows your son around wherever he goes and intervenes on his behalf BEFORE he bites. Jimmy steals that toy from your son and the shadow says: HEY! I was playing with that! Give it back! and gives the toy back to your son. When done properly a shadow can end a biting spree of a child in as little as a week. BUT that shadow has GOT to pay attention to your child and his frustration cues to the exclusion of all else.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:50 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Call Social Services. They can give you good advice on that problem. You could also call a nurse at the Hospital.

Glo402813

Answer by Glo402813 at 2:29 AM on Apr. 4, 2011