Would trying to run/walk during the hours the kids are at school be crazy?!

I want a beach body for the summer and I have about 45 or more lbs to lose...soooo I figured I go running for 45 mins each day anyways (me and the baby in her jogging stroller) so I thought I should just start running from the time the big kids go to school until they get out of school. Like maybe after I put them on the bus until maybe a hr before they get out maybe a total of 5 hrs... I'm a SHM so it's not like I'd be missing anything if I cleaned up before I left and maybe the baby would sleep better to. Is that absolutely crazy or possibly a good idea?

2love

Asked by 2love at 6:29 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• No one should exercise for 5 hours a day! You will overdo it. Do an hour in the morning and then another hour later on. Mix up your routine to include cardio as well as strength training. I wish I had your energy & willpower! I cant believe it's freaking April already! I'm not ready yet! -LOL :) Good luck to you, but plz dont overdo it.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• A very good idea!!!! I do that all the time!!! I can drop 20 in a week!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 6:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• How is it good to leave your baby in a stroller for 5 hours a day while you run? I'm confused. I must be reading this wrong.

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 6:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• That is an hour and a half longer than it takes my LP to run a marathon...26 miles. OMG. He feels like run over dog crap after those and he is in excellent shape. I think it would be over doing it. Running and walking is great exercise, and I think it is a good idea to get your exercise in while your kids are at school, but I would try to add some variety and stick to maybe an hour of running.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:38 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I don't think that is healthy personally. Also if your going from little exercise to trying to walk/jog for hours a day you are going to wear out your body and probably find yourself getting discouraged and more likely to give up. Work your way up little by little so your body can adjust smoothly into a regular high intensity workout. I think your intentions are admirable but baby also may not enjoy hours and hours in a stroller. You should speak with a nutritionist and a trainer and have them develop a plan tailored to your body needs. Because all that exercise will do more harm that good with poor results on a bad diet.They'll probably tell you that 45lbs by summer is unrealistic. (unless your severely obese ) for a moderately overweight person 1-2 lbs a week is a sign of HEALTHY weight loss. But even if it's not 45lbs in 2months you'll still see an improvement :)
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 6:42 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Well, I agree with gramsmom, that your baby should be a consideration. Can you imagine being strapped into a stroller for that many hours?? What you choose to do to yourself is one thing, but that doesn't seem fair to the baby.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:48 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I don't mean leaving her in the stroller all that time ladies...shes BF so we would have to stop for breaks and diaper changes or holding...we stop and right now our little ruotine is only 45 minutes long....no child is going to sit in a stroller that long.
    2love

Comment by 2love (original poster) at 6:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Yeah, a 5 hour workout is not a good idea, baby or no baby. I'd say max an hour, just go at full capacity, ya know? Get some exercise DVDs and run and you'll be there in no time! Make sure you're eating right to achieve your goals, too- food is 80% of the battle. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:57 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Your body needs rest. a 5 hr work out would cause burnout, possible injury, and there are much better things to do with your time than running/walking for 5hrs day. I run and I've run 20+ miles which took me 4 hrs and believe me, I was TIRED for a couple days and just in need of rest. I couldn't imagine doing that daily!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 2:48 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• that's too many hours, u are going to get tired of it and won't want to go the next day, why don't u jog after u put ur kids on the bus about an hour then u go home clean and do what ever u have to do but at least u got it done...
    nicoleNjeanna

Answer by nicoleNjeanna at 1:43 PM on Apr. 2, 2011