As seen on Dr. Phil. Is using hot sauce, and cold showers as punishment considered to be "OK"?

Did anyone watch the documentary about a foster mother who found out that his adoptive son (6-8 yo) was lying to her. This mother would give the child hot sauce but would order him not to swallow it. The foster mother would also use cold showers as a form of punishment. It was also noted that this mother was very verbal while punishing the child. She would say things like "we don't lie in this house", "what happens when you lie" and she would force the child to say "I get hot sauce" etc. Is this woman for real?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:52 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• There was a family in Pittsburgh a year or so back who lost their children because they were using hot sauce like that to punish their kids. The little girl actually had acid burns in her mouth and esophagus because of the acid in the pepper sauce. The father ended up in prison over it... I would have to say if a real father ends up in prison for it, a foster parent should as well... NO, this kind of thing is NOT okay, it's abuse! Plain and simple!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:08 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I did. And I really don't know. I think Dr. Phil was just painting this woman to be a "bad parent" and she even said herself she's tried every disciplinary in the book to get her son under control and it hasn't worked. I don't think what she's doing is right, but I think Dr. Phil needs to stop painting a bad picture of someone and get to the bottom of why she had to come to this solution instead of stoning her with accusations.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 6:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• UGH! This dead horse has been beaten enough. She first WROTE to Dr. Phil to get help because she knew what she was doing was wrong. She admitted on the show that it wasn't working, but that she was out of ideas. She has since been BACK on the show and things are improving for her and that child. They're not ideal by any means, but are getting better.

No, what she did to that boy is something I would not do to my kids at all. She's learning different techniques now.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:56 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• It's Dr. Phil. He lives off making people look like bad people so he can look like the hero and help them out. I hate Dr. Phil!
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 7:04 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Why is it that anytime a parent begins to discipline a child, people shout ABUSE, ABUSE! I've dabbed my finger in soap before and put it on my son's tongue for back talking. This is after repeated warnings and when he's already sitting in time-out. Calling me names (which I do NOT to do him) is very disrespectful and is not allowed.

I did not watch Dr. Phil, so I don't know to what extent this lady was going.
    Anonymous

• Imogine! That is so nuts! I was thinking the same thing about how Dr. Phil likes to make people look bad so he can save them! You took the words right out of my mouth! Plus, how can you listen to his voice?/UGH
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:01 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• the whole issue on parenting our kids now days is a bunch of crap its not like before when you could spank them on the butt and they listened to you. Now kids will report you your own family and friends will report you. kids talk back so much or just run away from it.
    butterflies78

Answer by butterflies78 at 7:32 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Hot suace isnt that huge of a deal if done right! I got hotsauce for saying shut-up...etc. I am not damaged, but she was out of control, I personall wont use hotsauce on my kids but that was not as big as people made it! BUt the rest was terrible! And she did the right thing asking for help! Give her that much!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:49 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• at least hot sauce is food. when i was little we got soap!
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 6:54 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• and that was considered ok? I don't agree with that - especially the verbal part. A punishment is a punishment but that doesn't mean you berate them. My girlfriend used to put pepper or hot sauce on her kids tongues if they cursed and I just don't know that it's effective but the cold shower is a little much because the child is naked and being punished with cold water - that has got to do something to a boys psyche.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 6:56 PM on Apr. 1, 2011