Is the food you eat making you old?

What if the fountain of youth were in your own kitchen? While we've come to expect that certain physical and mental changes are an inevitable part of getting older, the fact is that the foods we eat—or don't—may speed those processes along, aging us before our time. The reason is simple. "We eat too many processed foods," says David Katz, MD, director of Yale University's Prevention Research Center. "They're often high in calories and low in nutrients such as vitamin B12 and omega-3s, so we end up with islands of deficiencies in a sea of excess." These inadequacies can result in symptoms we tend to assume are due to aging, such as the four below. Work with your doctor to determine whether adjusting your diet or adding a supplement can help you look—and feel—younger.

http://health.msn.com/healthy-living/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100270279&ocid=xnetr1-3

tasches

Asked by tasches at 7:03 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Food & Drink

• True true. Love my veggies.
    Anonymous

• I totally agree. It's sad how much we rely on processed foods today. We switched to eating clean about a year and a half ago, and it's made a HUGE difference in so many ways. Now when we eat processed food, we feel like crap.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:41 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Dr Perricone wrote a book about an anti-aging diet that included a lot of salmon and eggs, as I recall.
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 7:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• i try to incorporate veggies at home as much as possible. it is true that junk, processed, food can make you old, fat and sick.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 7:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I love veggies. I'm trying to cut down on processed food
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:26 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I agree with this whole heartedly, but fall victim to the working mom rushing home to make dinner and hurrying to get going to an extra curricular activity, I rely on fast food/ frozen food dinners. I hate it but haven’t figure out how to turn it around. I feel too tired to think about what we are eating at the end of the day.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 4:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• We are getting away from processed/frozen foods. We started making meals on Sunday and throwing them in the freezer for those days we are rushed or don't feel like cooking.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 8:09 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Love veggies!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 4:49 PM on Apr. 3, 2011