Should my husband join the Air force?

We are going through some VERY hard times right now. We cant pay rent. and we are trying to file bankruptcy but cant come up with the 1500 to do that. Right now he is an assistant manager at wal-mart.

We need a major life change. He seems to think that the Air force might be that change for us. If he quits he gets about 7000 from wal-mart. then we can pay for the bankruptcy, and start over in the millitary.

Do you think that might be a good idea?

beautifulmom577

Asked by beautifulmom577 at 12:42 AM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Money & Work

• The Air Force can be a really good thing. You will still have to watch your spending though. You will get lots of different allowances like for rent, but if you are not careful that money can still go quick. If he does join I would suggest that you enroll in some budgeting classes or get an accountant. A friend of my in the AF got one and it really helped him get his dept in order and a lot of CC's payed off. The only problem was his accountant was in charge of how he spent it and that would get in the way sometimes, but in the long run it worked great for him!
    Amber1109

Answer by Amber1109 at 12:52 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Definitely look into it - he has to be prepared for the maturity which the military requires. Our son is in the Marine Corps and he and his wife & baby daughter are eligible for a lot of benefits. But your situation might call for different benefits than the Air Force provides, so check it out. Also, a military wife has to learn more maturity and independence than before, because her husband will no longer have a 9 to 5 job. The military is just like being a teacher, lawyer, doctor - it is a profession and the person has to put in overnights, weekends, a couple of weeks here, couple of months there. And as his wife, you cannot whine about it - this is what he must do to earn a living for his family & it is unfair to act as if he is ignoring you
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:55 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• how does he get 7000 from Wal-Mart for quitting??? Also, are you prepared for him to go off to war?? That is a huge deal and as former Navy myself, I know the demands the military can place on you even in peace time!! I know the benefits sound SOOOOO tempting right now but PLEASE consider ALL aspects of this decision before signing anything. Remember he cannot just quit if things aren't what the two of you expected either. It can be a very tough road.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 1:05 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• The air force was a good life for us. But you do have to realize that he may be sent to fight this war we are in. You have a lot of stress being a military wife but there are other moms that are a great support. I liked our life in the military but a lot of the time I did have to have a lot more on my shoulders but I knew what I was getting in to. If he goes in do not complain or whine when you are sent somewhere you didn't want to go. Just soak up whatever the base and surrounding area has to offer. It can be a good life just weigh the options.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:15 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• im a military wife...and my dh went fulltime (he was reserve for a while before we met) because of financial issues...

Its not worth it though. JMO...
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 3:00 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• And really, military get paid on the low end. He is in the process of getting out and we found out that he can do the same jobs out of the military and make way more. COntractors for the military (civilians) who go overseas can make up to 100,000/yr. When he got sent to Iraq last yr he only got base pay..
    its stupid that military get paid so shitty.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 3:02 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I think alot of people are going to do exactly that. that would definately be a life change.
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 5:44 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Filing bankruptcy will only help if it elimanates bills and you have money to pay for the leftover bills. I am going through bankruptcy and it will wipe out our $20K in medical bills and our home $1500 (house/taxes) a month and we are downsizing to a smaller place and rent will be about $500 (and big enough for our growing kids). We cut cost; cell, satellite etc.. In the end we will reduce out gow $2500 which is enough to make up for DH new pay rate and eventual lay off. So think of how you can reduce your bills first. Because if the bills stay the same bankruptcy will not help you. Bankruptcy elimates 'some' bills but others you will not. It doesn't create an income.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:50 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Cont' ... Now the $1,500 did you shop around at all? Also what most lawyers will do is this you pay half for them to put together the paywork. Then when your ready to file you pay the other half and what ever your state court fees are. We paid $500 and then another $750 for chapther 7. BK is a long process to just start so you want to go sooner then later if you plan to do it. You need the following; 6 months of paystubs and keep saving them, 2 years of taxes (you will not get any more refunds till the year after you file), all assets, all bills, certificate of credit counseling.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:53 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• bankruptcy is NOT always the answer! how much total do you owe? what do you owe? i think joining the air force is a good idea. free education, housing stipend, discount shopping, free training, discount education, free health care, discount dependent care, and a host of other services, etc.
    prettylob1

Answer by prettylob1 at 10:34 AM on Nov. 29, 2008