Breastfeeding difficulty?

I recently had my baby (just over two weeks ago) and have had a horrible time with breastfeeding. has anyone else had problems (like difficultly latching, etc)? I'm beside myself that it's so hard. I had no idea and am very upset I need to supplement with formula. I'm also currently pumping to try to increase my supply. Who else can relate?

mmsfirstone

Asked by mmsfirstone at 7:14 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you spoken to a lactation consultant? There is a breasfeeding group on here that can offer support too. Go to the green group tab and search for it. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:16 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I had such a horrible time nursing my daughter that I wound up with one nipple cracked and bleeding. She's 4 now and it STILL hurts if I lay on my stomach the wrong way in bed. About the time I wanted to give up because of the pain something changed and it stopped hurting. I was literally in tears, it hurt so bad, when she'd nurse on that one side.

Contact Le Leche and see if you can get someone out to your house to help you. I know my hospital had one visit me in the hospital and also set up an appointment for a home visit.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:29 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I had SO much trouble with latching for SIX WEEKS after my son was born. It was EXHAUSTING, and we both shed a lot of tears during that time. However, I am SOOO glad we pushed through, and we nursed for 18 1/2 months. You can do this!! Have you read "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding?" I wish I had while I was pregnant, because it made me feel less alone in the struggles I went through, and it offered some wonderful solutions to my specific troubles. I'm glad you're seeing a LC! You can also try La Leche League meetings. Keep at it, mama! You can do it!!! =)

breastfeeding

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:37 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• its hard for alot of moms the key is to have support and not give up.
    1. join the breastfeeding moms group
    2. pick up this two books the womanly art of breastfeeding by la leche league and thats what they're for by janet tamaro
    3. contact la leche league
    4. youtube has great videos on latching
    5. stop all formula bottles that will decreased your milk supply
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:54 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Try seeing an IBCLC, or meet with a LLL leader if you want help with getting to breast.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• My son was born with a short tongue (due to being a month early) and couldn't latch properly. For the first few days, I pumped, and the nurse would feed the baby with a plastic medicine cup, then they gave me a silicone nipple shield which had a longer nipple. He latched on to that with no problem, and I could switch it easily from one side to the other. It was also easy to clean. I couldn't get him to wean off of it to my own nipple, but I still had the breast feeding experience for a few months. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 6:13 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• The first four weeks my baby was latching incorrectly (getting milk, but causing pain to my nipples) and my nipples were destroyed for those 4 weeks. Keep pumping/nursing and things will get better! I kept going, and I am so happy I did. I love nursing my LO! Were going on 3 months now! You can do it mama!
    bentleysmommy11

Answer by bentleysmommy11 at 12:49 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Breastfeeding for me was a horror story - it made me sick to my stomach, it was horribly painful and I didn't make enough milk to fill my kids so I still had to FF them. You do not have to continue to suffer, BF is not for everyone and there is nothing wrong with FF. Good luck (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:21 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• a lactose consultant can be a life safer!! If I knew now what I could have done with my first I would have breast fed her sooo much longer. (I lasted 3 weeks before giving up). With my second she is almost 4 months now and I'm breastfeeding still :).

It is difficult to latch with the first child, but take the time, learn the different positions. You'll know when they are eatting and latched properly when they aren't making a slurping sound and you can see their mouths moving. When they are latched properly it also won't hurt nearly as much. There are creams for chapping and pain when you first start, but in a few weeks time the pain of breast feeding will subside.

also take the time to check out some of the groups on cafemom about breastfeeding, they are great supporters :)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:09 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I've actually met and re-met with the lactation consultant at my local hospital. they've been very helpful. it's actually how I got to pumping. I was planning on pumping anyway for when I'll be returning to work, but wasn't planning on having to do it so early on. it's been very exhausting. I'm trying to stay positive. some days are better than others. I'm glad there are people to talk to for support. I now know how hard it can be. thanks ladies!
    mmsfirstone

Comment by mmsfirstone (original poster) at 7:34 PM on Apr. 1, 2011