Breast feeding yes or no?

I breast fed my 1dd until just over a year(then she got teeth) and my 2dd until 9 mo. My ds was not breast fed as I had to go to basic within 6 months of his birth. I haven't seen a difference and we are now planning on child 4. Should I or shouldn't I breast feed the next time?

Audrice1985

Asked by Audrice1985 at 7:20 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• Only you know that answer. I am all for BF I loved BF my son. (He was the only one out of 4 that I could) Its cheaper, you get to bond more, and its greener. No bottles to wash or clean. WIll you have time if you are in the military? Only you can answer, but I say go for it if its convienent for you.
    Ambear72

Answer by Ambear72 at 7:22 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• It's really up to you. It's your life to decide what you feel is right for your kids.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 7:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• It's up to you. Do some research if you'd like. In general, breastmilk is considered healthier than formula, and I know for me, it was SO much more convenient, cheaper, and I loved the relationship.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:34 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• It's hard to decide with all the info out there now. I personally would give the BF dibs, but maybe you could do both-supplementing formula where necessary. They say BF is still the best, plus like the others pointed out, it's cheaper and if you're not having difficulties with it, why not just BF? that's just what I would do. ;)
    mmsfirstone

Answer by mmsfirstone at 7:41 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I'm just kind of woried about the 6 month thing. at that time I have to go back to full duty. I'm not sure about breaking from breast to bottle at that age, or the leaking that may occur in front of my mostly male coworkers.
    Audrice1985

Comment by Audrice1985 (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I'd go for it. At least for the first three months or so. Leaking can be prevented with nursing pads. If you're male co-workers can't deal with an occasional leak they seriously need to grow up. But you know whatever you think. As long as baby gets fed I personally don't care where it comes from. I think everyone should try breastfeeding, but I am not a "nazi" that insists upon it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• you might not realize if they are "smarter" by breast feeding, but it does give you and your baby a special bond.
    dfwhite

Answer by dfwhite at 9:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Breast feeding for me was miserable - painful, nauseating, just horrible and not "bonding" at all. I never made enough milk with either child and we had to supplement formula - I wasn't going to be one of those crazy moms who starves their kid because I wanted to BF only. I don't think it's that big of a deal, but the BF brigade will try and convince you that it is

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:19 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• It's funny about all the things women worry when it comes to breastfeeding, especially when you haven't even started. I say this because once you start breastfeeding, it's amazing how you and your body adjusts. I do breastfeed my kids, but that is me. You just need to sit down and think about it and decide when your baby is born. Good luck, no decision is wrong.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:17 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I BF DS, for it is easy, and FREE. The bonding thing, I am no more bonded to him than I was to DD (who was FF), so I never bought into that. BF my DS just worked out great this time around, so I stuck with it. :) You have to do what works best for you and your children.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2011