16 & Pregnant / TEEN MOM

I enjoy the show and think it is a great show for teens to watch. I think it shows them that the boy who says, "I love you", doesn't always love them when they are pregnant.

That the boys usually leave or they aren't that "wonderful" person that they were before she got pregnant.

I also think it is good for girls to understand pregnancy, labor and finishing school isn't as easy as they think it might be.

I have friends who think this is a BAD show and it glorifies teen pregnancies and that, "I can get pregnant and be famous." I don't believe that to be the case, after all...out of all the teens that DO get pregnant, only a handful are on the show.

So, what are your thoughts.

ItsJustMe1017

Asked by ItsJustMe1017 at 7:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• My thoughts are I really hate reality shows no matter what the subject is. Personally I don't watch Teen mom.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:31 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I think the same, too. But there may be some kids out there thats like "I wanna get pregg so I can be on TV"
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 7:31 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• you do realize they hold actual auditions for the show as if they were casting degrassi or something right(and some girls go to the auditions not even pregnant, then they get picked and TRY to get pregnant by the time they start filming)? they held auditions in my town since the continuation school here is full of pregnant teens and teen moms but since all the pregnant girls are already in their 8th month they didnt want any of them
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 7:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I agree with the above. Not my thing...and my kids wont watch it.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 7:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• oh and also the auditions are like american idol they interview the good stories but mostly pick the shitty ones and maybe 1 good one
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 7:36 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I agree with your friend. The more it is thrown out there on TV and in the media, the more socially acceptable it becomes. I dont think its ok. And there were dozens of news stories after the first season of Teen Mom that showed some young girls were trying to get pregnant to be on the show. I refuse to watch it or 16 and pregnant, and contribute to the $$$ they pay these girls... They arent struggling after being on the show... And young girls want to be like the girls on TV, on the cover of magazines, on all the talk shows... And the teen moms are on all that too.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 7:41 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I too beleve the show shows the hardships of being a teen mother. Not every teen thinks they are going to be famous. I think it shows most of the time the boys dont stick around and the girl ends up caring for the baby alone and dont finish school.

My teen watches teh show but we also talk about teen pregnancy and how she will finish school, work a partime job and care for her baby. I will be there for support but she is the parent not me.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 7:46 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I posted something on this a few days ago. I love the show, and I do watch w/ my soon to be 13 y/o dd, however, even she thinks that the moms on there don't have it THAT hard. (For the exception of Leah and her sweet baby girl's health prob.) Most of their parents help them out w/ a lot!! I was 16 when I had my dd and I've been very open w/ her about how hard it was and she's seen the struggles we've gone through, especially financially. Not all teens try to get preggers, and I don't think the show is meant as birthcontrol, but in my opinion it doesnt' show the true hardships, sacrifices, and complications of what real teens face, especially when their parents aren't helping at all. It kinda sugercoats things. That's just my opinion. It shouldn't be blamed for kids going out and trying to get preg., because they are old enough at that point to know better. But to the teen w/ the wrong frame of mind, the fame could be appealing
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 7:58 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I don't see how it's "glorifying" it. They get to see the harsh reality of it. Sadly, teens are so mentally underdeveloped that they think it can't/won't happen to them. For example, DH's STUPID niece is 16 and pregnant. I knew she was having sex b/c she confided in me, asked for help, and then refused to take it. Now the idiot is pregnant and she foolishly told the pastor at her church so that he would tell her parents. Now her parents are mad at me because I didn't tell them. There were more than enough signs for them to know, and they didn't catch on. Not my problem. The other thing that bothers me is that DH and SIL (uncle/aunt of the girl) knew also and didn't say anything. yet, I'm the only one being singled out. They apparently just wanted someone to blame for it. Oh well. Now the stupid girl is mad at me b/c I won't take her to docs and sh*t. I don't have TIME for myself or my own family. SIL DID warn (cont.)
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 8:06 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• (cont.) MIL to tell the girl's mother to "be careful that J***** doesn't come out pregnant." If you don't get what that entails, that's NOT my problem. Idiots. Anyway, luckily, my 15 year old niece (sister's daughter) was smart enough to listen to me. She went and got on B/C and everything-all on her own. :)
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 8:08 PM on Apr. 1, 2011