So, I was thinking....

about this whole it's-ok-to-call-military-members-murderers-because-it's-their-Freedom-of-Speech-right. And how I disagree. Well, this is why I disagree, well, mostly. Because it's defamation of character. It could also incite a riot if done in the wrong place. Which, basically goes along with what I said before, in my opinion, morals trump that right, free speech. Think about it, do you, those that think it's ok to call them murderers, or those that think it's ok just because there IS a Freedom of Speech, go around telling someone their outfit makes them look fat? Or a slut? Do you tell someone that their baby is fugly? I mean, you do technically have that right, right? If you don't, why don't you? Tact? Morals? You don't want to hurt their feelings? Then why do you want to tell my my husband is a murderer? HE FIXES HELICOPTERS! That's his job.

Raine2001

Asked by Raine2001 at 7:28 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• *me, not my. My bad:)
    Raine2001

Comment by Raine2001 (original poster) at 7:29 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Because short of yelling fire in a crowded theater, much is protected by the COTUS under FOS. Everyone has an opinion and rightly or wrongly they can express that opinion. The majority of people would not make those remarks to your husband, or about a less than adorable baby because they have tact and empathy. However, for that small minority, all bets are off. Stick around here long enough and you'll see some very nasty and vicious comments directed at specific screen names, usually posted by a cowardly anon. They say it because they can. Unfortunately, you can not legislate tact and social decorum- I often wonder how some people were raised and educated-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:36 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I don't want to do any of those things. I don't really feel like it's the government's business to legislate morality though, and if people want to be rude, offensive assholes, it's a Constitutional right.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:38 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I will use my right of freedom of speech to THANK your husband for his service and to THANK you for all you do to support him. I agree with you that it is defamation of character. It is also slander. I would gladly give up my nursing license because I had to go to jail if it meant I could beat the living snot out of these people who are picketing military funerals and talking about our soldiers this way. Remember that freedom of speech....why do you think you have it people???
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 7:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Another thought, OP- You just have remember that your husband fixes helicopters for a job, and that by doing so, he is not murdering people. I had one poster here call me an "abortion lover" because of my PC stance...just words, as I know those words do not apply to me or my life. Lots of people know how to use "dramatic terms" to push buttons in an attempt to illicit a certain response. Do not fall prey to that game-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:41 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• For the post I'm talking about, the anon that posted what I'm on the fence about, I'm not sure if they are agreeing that they are murderers or not. Just that she would not actually SAY murderer. And someone called them murderers, but deleted their post, I think, cause someone quoted it, but I didn't see the original post. And there was someone that actually agrees they are murderers, and used their screen name. I don't think they will all go anon.

Sisteract, it's not that simple for me. For me, don't f*ck with my family. It's been done for too long. This is my HUSBAND. My dad, my FIL and my BIL. This is my FAMILY. And, for one of them, there has been a 'it's you or me' instance. Face to face, gun in the face. This is no joke. This is real life. This IS defamation of character. And of men that DO fight to protect the rights and lives and well being of the very people spewing hatred towards them.
    Raine2001

Comment by Raine2001 (original poster) at 7:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Not defamation. Consider it the price of freedom. You do not have the freedom not to be offended, as annoying as that may be at times.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• There are also those who are very literal (black/white) thinkers. For those thinkers, all killing could be viewed as bad, and all who are involved, no matter the affiliation, murderers. Does the military have support groups for spouses? Is there anyone who you can talk to that might be able to help you cope with this particular issue? This is your husband's career and livelihood, and I can understand the need to be supportive-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:01 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• to defame:: to harm the reputation of by libel or slander Merriam- Webster online dictionary.

Not defamation of character? I suppose that's your opinion.

Sure they have support groups, I have never been open to them. I'm better at giving support, not receiving. I just want people to understand the effect of what they say, who they say it against. My dad to this day, it STILL affects him horribly, that they were called murderers and spit on when they got back from Vietnam.

Raine2001

Comment by Raine2001 (original poster) at 8:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Not defamation of character?

It has to have a price for him, such as costing him his job. Otherwise as horrible as it is, it is freedom of speech.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:15 PM on Apr. 1, 2011