6 Year old bedwetter

Does anyone have any suggestions?
His ped was saying his bladder is small and will develop
Over night he wears a pull up, no liquids after 7pm, sometimes we go pass 7, uses the potty before bed, is very hard to wake in the night.
Than also during the day, sometimes he tries to hold his pee, but will let a little at a time out, until his underwear and pants are wet.
He does this at his after school program and has said its because they were outside on the playground and they are not allowed back inside until recess time is up...but he has also done this at home, where the bathroom is accessible to him.
Any suggestions....thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Nov. 29, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It could be laziness or just take him to the doctor.
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 1:33 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• my only suggestion would be nothing to drink after like 530-6...and even then just a couple mouthfulls of milk or something with his supper..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:43 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• You just need to talk to him and let him know that he shouldn't be waiting until he feels like he is going to burst. Stopping the drinks earlier at night, honestly, will not help. Some kids, especially boys, produce more at night. That is just the way their body is made. They will outgrow this, but at their own pace. My son has ahd the night problem. He also sleeps like if he is in a coma though. We tried the underwear alarm, that only worked for a month and then he just slept through it. He is now older and nature just took its course. He does not pee at night anymore. The pediatrician shouldn't do anything until he is about 10 yrs of age. At that time they may give him a pill at night. This doesn't fix the problem. This only stops the body from producing. It is only a bandaid. Your son is still young, I think you just need to reinforce how and when he should go to the bathroom.
    hugorose

Answer by hugorose at 11:27 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• My daughter just turned 7 and is still wetting the bed at night. Like you said sleeps like she's in a coma. We don't have the problem of wetting during the day since we homeschool and she can go whenever, but I do notice that she waits until the LAST second. I don't think at all that your son is lazy, kids just have different priorities. I can remember wetting my pants at school a couple times, or on my front porch just after school because I would not use the potty at school. My mom could never figure out why, I wasn't afraid of it. Most likely it will just take time. There are a few cases where kids need a balloon to expand their bladder, or other physical issues. I would just check in with the ped. every year to make sure this isn't the issue. You might try speeding things along by waking him a couple times a night to use the bathroom, but that too takes a long time. Good luck, you're not the only ones.
    Star76

Answer by Star76 at 1:08 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• dont let him drink before going to school or going to bed and ask him to take a pee first before going to bed. If he successfully did pee on his pants give him a praise. For sure he can do that again.
    lovingmom0419

Answer by lovingmom0419 at 4:34 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• In my experience withholding liquids does not help much, if at all. Bedwetting is more of a sleep disorder (that is why he is so hard to wake, even a full bladder won't wake him). Just keep buying the goodnights/pull ups and wait for him to mature. My DH and I were both bed wetters, so I knew my kids would very likely be. I never even tried to "teach" them to not wet the bed, just put the goodnights on them. My younger son naturally started waking up to pee during the night at 6 years old. My 8 year old still wets at night. My parents tried EVERYTHING with my as a child and nothing worked except waiting to out grow it.
    As for the day time, remind him to go more frequently during the day.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:14 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I think your doctor is right. My 10 year old just stopped wetting the bed last year. It wasn't something he could help. My 5 year old also wets the bed and it makes him feel really bad, he tries very hard to make it to the toilet and often wets himself at the bathroom door because he can't get his pants down fast enough and didn't wake up in time.. My daughters never had this problem. It seems the small bladder only affects my sons.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:37 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• take hto the doctor he have week kines
    devon229

Answer by devon229 at 10:46 PM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Hi, My youngest son had the same problem at night. He was 10 before we completely got things under control. I can give you this advice, but it isn't fun. To keep his mattress from getting ruined you will have to get up every 2 to 3 hours for a week and take him to the toilet. After a week of this you should be able to figure out his bathroom schedule. Once you do that you just simply set the alarm. The pull-ups actually made things worse for my son, because he didn't feel himself getting wet. My son hasn't wet his bed in over a year and a half. If you have the time it really helps your child's  selfesteme. My son didn't even want to spend the night with friends because of his problem.

kelli70

Answer by kelli70 at 5:52 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Is this an issue that has been ongoing, or is it something which just began after a time of not being an issue? If the latter then the following will more than likely not be of any help.

Honey at night, unless he is allergic. One tablespoon of honey given 1/2 hour before bedtime helps to hold the bladder, I used it for my son when he was having problems and it worked really well (also worked on my 88yo grandmother). Continue the pull-ups at night, and perhaps arrange a schedule to toilet for the day; perhaps 15-20 min after a meal, or drink. The toileting schedule will be the hardest part, quite inconvenient perhaps, but should allow him the opportunity to empty his bladder regularly to avoid accidents. Good luck!
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 1:38 AM on Dec. 1, 2008