Emergency?

Another cute little trick by congress, supplemental appropriations funding. Legitimate needs for this type of emergency funding are needed for wars and natural disasters and such, that can't wait until the next budget cycle. Over the last 25 years, each year congress has enacted between one and eight emergency spending bills ranging from 1.8 billion to 120 billion. All of these bills have had spending added to them that would not pass muster under normal budgetary procedures. But there is usually very little oversight and a great sense of urgency to get these passed. The war funding bill passed in 2003 had $348 million for 29 projects unrelated to the war. such as $110 million for the National Animal disease Center in Ames Iowa. The emergency supplemental appropriations act for defense, the global war on terrow and tsunami relief (2005) had $1.13 billion for projects that had NOTHING to do with any of the emergencies beinng funded..$55 million for waste water treatment in De Soto county Mississippi and $25 million for Fort Peck Fish Hatchery in Montana. The stimulus had so many that it would be a huge undertaking to begin listing them.
The Congressional Reseach Service has stated that "had supplemental appropriations been fully offset, federal debt held by the public could have been reduced by about 18% or $930 billion per year.

source: Supplemental Appropriations: Trends and Budgetary Impact report

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 7:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Carpy, I know you and I disagree on alot, but I actually agree with you on this! There is soooo much waste and unnecessary spending on the federal, state, county, AND city level. It drives me up the wall! We need to have better oversight . . . . and Medicare, Medi-cal, medicaid also need a HUGE overhaul to elimininate unneceassary spending.

For too many years, agencies have gotten away with budgetary craziness. I blame that innefficiency for a huge portion of our debt.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:50 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I think there are a lot of areas (departments) that need to be gone through with a fine-toothed comb. There is so much waste even just in the agencies mentioned by ImaginationMama. If they took some time to go through and see where some of this unnecessary spending is going, then things may not be so out of control. I think this blame falls on all politicians, especially the ones that are slipping these in for thier own states, cites, etc. in exchange for thier votes in other things. I vote for this for you if you vote for this that contains $25mil for my cousins hatchery....wink wink.....nudge nudge.....its a damn shame. :(
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 8:29 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• This is why it is imperative that we elect representatives that are fiscally responsible. If that means they are conservative, then so be it. But the coffers of the US aren't there to give all the money away. We wouldn't need so much money in them if we were a little more frugal about what we actually spend money on. When, exactly, did the mind set of the American people shift from being independent, hard working people to whiny wards of the state?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:53 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• You know, it's no secret how I feel about Obama. I do believe that he is pretty useless s a leader and has NO idea what he is doing. However...I would have been SO impressed and may have completely changed my mind IF he had done just a few of his simplest campaign promises. A MAJOR one being going through the wasteful spending with a fine tooth comb and not allowing all those earmarks!! Others being debating bills on Cspan AND posting bills for 48hrs online before voting on them ;) I REALLY wish we could get SOMEONE in there that would see this get DONE!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:59 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• It seems like there a some good ones in D.C; who are trying to get us out of this mess but they have a very tough job!

This is exasperating as well!

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/freddie-mac-fannie-mae/2011/04/01/id/391471?s=al&promo_code=C023-1

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:28 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Was listening to an opinionated piece about this on radio in car ride to the course. We need the MSM to pick on this and expose more. Will they?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:45 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I doubt it. The only liberal that replied or cares is Imaginationmama.
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 7:36 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I think if you look into detail you will find some of these seemingly unrelated additions are ' pork' needed to get support to have the bills passed , plus intensive lobbying by special industrial and local interests , even paybacks for political contributions . Remember the Pentagon was stuck with having to buy equipment it did not want as a result of special interest shenanigans in Congress. Representatives are expected to bring home the goodies to their constituents , especially those who funded their successful campaigns

The problem is the political system , Obama and the the Democrats are no more to blame than their Republican predecessors
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 9:29 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Oay, I just got home and started reading some posts here....being a Liberal Democrat I must object. see it as this: it really is necessary for some Intelligent and mature and responsible representatives to work to solve our economic crisis.......not necessarily belonging to a specific party and not necessarily conservative or liberal. We need some smart people there.....okay?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:26 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I think if you look into detail you will find some of these seemingly unrelated additions are ' pork' needed to get support to have the bills passed ,

I think if you looked a little closer YOU would find that you really do not know what you are talking about. And ALSO, if you read the post, you would see that it goes back TWENTY FIVE years. That covers BOTH parties. These are NOT standard bills that this stuff is being slipped into. They are overwhelmingly passed appropriations funding under EMERGENCY spending. They are not standard bills Stick to Canadian politics, please.
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 11:22 PM on Apr. 2, 2011