Why doesn't Nair work?

I know that Nair is a chemical that is supposed to weaken or dissolve the hair into the follicle, but whenever I have used it, on my legs, face, anywhere, it just makes the hair all limp and doesn't actually remove the hair. Why is that? What did I do wrong?

I have sensitive skin, so I used the sensitive kind, if that helps. Thanks!

ACL2007

Asked by ACL2007 at 8:05 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Nair works well only for those with very thin hairs. This way, they are easier to dissolve. If you are like most women who have lovely strong hair on the legs, it will not be able to eat through all of it.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• It works for me, even with thick hair, but only if I get it all off then gently rub with a wet washcloth.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 8:15 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I did not try a wet washcloth. Maybe I will try it again. Thanks!
    ACL2007

Comment by ACL2007 (original poster) at 8:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• not long enough? for me I always had to grow it out a week or so before it would work

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I hate hair I used it when I was pregnant with my son and no matter how long I lefted in or how I took it off I could still feel some hairs on my legs.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 8:27 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I agree with camiam. Sometimes thicker hair takes a little extra "work" to get off even after the nair. For me, it has never been a great option, because I have fairly coarse hair and then sensitive skin...so my skin can't take it for as long as my hair needs it...LOL
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Did you leave it on long enough? I think that is the biggest reason for why it doesn't work for some people. A damp washcloth will also help. If it still doesn't work, you might want to try veet. My mother uses it and loves it.
    crystac

Answer by crystac at 9:58 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Maybe you didn't leave it on long enough? Try using the kind that comes with the scraper thing. I think it's Veet.
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 9:05 AM on Apr. 2, 2011