Was told I miscarried but my HCG levels went back up. Am I still pregnant?

I just gave birth almost 8 months ago and was exclusively breastfeeding up until the end of January. I got the flu and fever of 104.2 for five days which depleted my milk supply. On Feb 14th (Valentine's Day) we had unprotected sex. On Feb. 28th I got my first, what I thought to be, my first period after pregnancy. It was completely normal, light in the beginning with some heaviness in the middle and tapering off after five days. Moderate cramps but nothing too intense, just period cramps. Two weeks later on Mar 14th, I started bleeding again, this time very heavily. I just thought it was my period coming back with a vengeance. I bled through super plus tampons and pads every half hour for about 12 hours straight. I finally passed a blood clot the size of my fist. That's when I knew something wasn't right so I went to the ER. They took blood and told me I was pregnant and having a miscarriage, HCG levels at 600.

velvetsea1117

Asked by velvetsea1117 at 8:17 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Ask the doctor

Answer by older at 8:21 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• If after all that your levels are still rising I would ask them to check your tubes for a eptoic pregnancy I had almost the exact same thing happen and it was very scary..
    crgarcia294

Answer by crgarcia294 at 8:22 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• You could be, if your levels went back up you may have lost a twin, but still have one. I am sorry for your loss.
    Anonymous

• I don't know about HGC levels, they didn't talk like that when I had my kids. But, that sounds like what happened with my first daughter. I was about 3 months, miscarried, but was still pregnant with my daughter. It can happen.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 8:22 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Sorry, had too many characters so I have to finish here...

A couple days later, I saw my midwife and they checked my HCG levels again. They came back at 200 something. She said I had to go back a week later to make sure it was at a 0. I've been completely hormonal, crying at commercials, awaking to pee in the middle of the night a few times, and having vivid dreams. All symptoms I had with my first pregnancy. I asked the midwife if that was normal and she told me it was normal to feel emotional after miscarrying. A week later I got my results back and my HCG levels are now at 1000!! We didn't have sex in between the miscarriage and the blood draw so I couldn't have gotten pregnant then. Is there a chance my baby miraculously survived all that bleeding?! I had to go in for another blood test today but I have to wait the weekend to get the results back. Just wondering if anyone's ever heard of this?
    velvetsea1117

Comment by velvetsea1117 (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I forgot to mention that they did an ultrasound when I went to the ER and they ruled out ectopic or molar pregnancy. My midwife also said if it was ectopic, I would feel a lot of pain right now because I would be far enough along to feel it.
    velvetsea1117

Comment by velvetsea1117 (original poster) at 8:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• wow idk
    Patience909

Answer by Patience909 at 8:37 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• A lot of times ERs will check for ectopic, but will not check to see if there was a twin that survived. Heck with my twins I had Twin to Twin transfusion Syndrome the word twin is in it 2 times, and after telling them repeatedly what I had and why my Dr told me to go to the ER I still had to force them to check on the Ultra sound for the second baby. They where going to send me home with out looking for the second one and did send me home with out sending me up to labor and delivery where the Dr was waiting for me to show up.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 8:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I also wonder if you lost a twin. I would go in for an ultrasound and I would be concerned about any additional bleeding or pain you experience between now and then.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Either still pregnant or failed to pass ALL of the placental tissue. Need to have an ultrasound to confirm, but if any part of the placenta is still intact your levels will continue to grow. Hard to say, but I am curious to know. ((Hugs))
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:52 PM on Apr. 1, 2011