The great onion debate!

My husband says he hates onions. I love them.....all of them. A lot of the recipes I make have onions in them so I usually have to make two separate pots or dishes, one with and one without. This has gotten ridiculous and I hate planning the menu now.

Two days ago I made pork fried rice and cut the onions up so small that there is no way he could pick them out. I didn't tell him and he didn't say a word. So I think it is in his head.

Other things he doesn't like: fruit(he likes the taste, not the texture) vegetables, pasta salad, the list goes on and on.

Anyone else have a picky eater for a husband?

HollyBoBolly

Asked by HollyBoBolly at 8:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Food & Drink

• My DH won't touch tomatoes or anything with tomato sauce.. It's especially irritating, because everything that you can make with tomato sauce, he makes with Alfredo sauce.. I personally can't stand Alfredo sauce, so most of the time we don't eat anything consisting of pasta and if we do I have to make mine and he makes his.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 8:48 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I think your on the right track learning how to change and mask things in a way that he can enjoy. I am a big texture person too i hate melted cheese but love it cold (weird i know)

My SO isn't picky but I lived in a house of picky eaters and it was so boring eating meat and potatoes all the time when I craved produce lol. Maybe you two could cook together on those nights you want to eat something he doesn't like and he can make his food without and you can make yours your way. Could be fun bonding
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 8:50 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• My hubby and kids eat pretty much everything. I only prep two dishes when we want something spicy that the kids won't be able to handle. Good luck to you. You are alot nicer than me. Cooking two things wouldn't last long in this house.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 9:19 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I hate onions. My mom's like you, thinks it's in my head. I hate the crunch if not sauteed enough, the stringy onion when sauteed w Chinese food. Small chopped up in food uuugh, makes me absolutely nuts! If you could use onion powder to subtract the texture of the actual onion, that'd b a WAY better substitute.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 9:22 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I understand how your husband feels. I can handle cooked onions, and I prefer rehydrated dehydrated onions but fresh are horrible. They stink, the flavor overwhelms other tastes and they linger, the smell fills my kitchen and I can't brush my teeth enough to get the taste out of my mouth. I don't even like burgers made with lettuce that has been stored next to the onions. If my husband felt the way about any food that I feel about onions I would happily cut them out of my cooking, it's really not asking too much.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• You must be married to my husband. If he only knew how many things I put onion in...
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 9:53 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• We as a family are picky eaters. Again, doesn't bother me.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 11:38 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• No, thankfully. I would be very unhappy without onions....or tomatoes for that matter!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:48 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• yes, my DH hates veggies - he'll only eat them in chinese food!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:21 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Nope, my husband will eat anything I put in front of him. I don't think I'd marry a picky eater. Food prep is my life
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 11:47 AM on Apr. 2, 2011