Abortion...so I was wondering....

At what point can a fetus succesfully survive outside a woman's body? Is it up to that point still a part of the woman and a baby, a being in and of itself, after that point?

Audrice1985

Asked by Audrice1985 at 9:00 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• My daughter was born at 31 weeks. Technically she could not have survived outside the womb. So I guess in many people's eyes, she was only a fetus and it would have been okay to abort her.......going by the rules that it's not murder if the baby can't survive outside the womb on their own, that is.

There are some babies that are born full-term that still need assistance...not sure if they are considered a fetus or not...?
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:04 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• this is not a valid question, there are babies born full term who cannot survive on there own.
    Anonymous

• From 24 weeks a baby has a chance of surviving outside the womb although slim and the chances increase as the weeks pass.

After 34 weeks the babys chance is high. After 37 weeks it can be considered full term

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:10 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• my mom had a baby at 25 weeks and he survived!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 9:19 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I believe that a baby is a baby from the minute conceived. Just because it is dependent on its mother until birth does not change that... even after birth, a baby is still dependent on its mother for years... what is the difference? Every living being starts somewhere, a fetus is just the beginning of a living person.
    sarahlu

Answer by sarahlu at 9:27 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I was born at 32 weeks (check my math though I was 8 weeks early), and survived. That was 30 years ago.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:28 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• anon: It IS a valid question and does not assume all babies can live once born regardless of gestational age. Please read the actual question.
    Audrice1985

Comment by Audrice1985 (original poster) at 9:34 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• The abortion number is 24 weeks and the reasoning is that at that age it is possible for the child to be born alive and medical technology exists to help the baby.

Personally, I think that a baby is a being of itself from the time it is created...it jsut leans on us as "life support". I wouldn't consider any adult on medical life support less of a being.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:49 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Good point mom 2 3!
    Audrice1985

Comment by Audrice1985 (original poster) at 9:52 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• The youngest I have seen (I used to work in a NICU) that survived was born at 23 weeks.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:58 PM on Apr. 1, 2011