I hid the tithe money from my husband. Is that wrong?

Okay I know from the title it sounds like I'm afraid he will take the money and spend it but that isn't the case. We only have $30 left after the tithe and I hid it from him because a family of four can not live on just $30 for two weeks. He insists on using it to pay the tithe. We had a HUGE fight. He doesn't know that I hid the money and he will be really mad when he finds out. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• WOW nice how your church wants you to live on $30 for a family of 4 - just another reason I cannot stand organized religion. CRAZY
    Anonymous

• When you say you "hid" it from him, did you tell him you paid them and didn't? You have to be honest with him. When you say there is only $30 left, is that after basic groceries have been bought? Our family could survive on $30 extra money just fine - actually, we keep enough of a grocery back up that we could skip shopping a week or maybe two and be ok, I'd just have to be more creative in the kitchen. In any case you need to be open with your husband, lying to him is only going to cause even more problems in your marriage.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• You two have to communicate. It is absurd to expect a family of 4 to live on 15 bucks a week. That would barely cover bread and milk for 2 weeks at my house. What chursch asks you to tith that much? Stand your ground and tell him God would not want your children to starve.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:27 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• If he's so intent on giving the church their "rightful due", perhaps you should broach the subject of going to the church for help. That's part of what tithes are supposed to be for, to help members who really need assistance.
    Anonymous

• Hey it's me. Please don't blame my church. They haven't asked us for anything. They don't even pass an offering plate at my church! They have special locked boxes on the back wall so people can drop their tithe or offering in and there is no pressure at all. We recently lost a baby and they went out of their way to help us. I wasn't able to work during that time which is why we are in this temporary bind financially. My husband insists on paying it because of what the Bible says about the tithe, not because of any pressure from our particular church.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:31 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• The church should not expect you to not take care of your children all for a tithe. Tithing is not just money, it's time and talent. Oh I forgot you have to take care of your ministers family. You and your husband need to have long talk. Also it's not right for you to hide something from your Husband. Tell him, OK I'll give it back but I'm going down to the food pantry so we can eat.
    daps

Answer by daps at 9:31 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Sorry I was writing as you were posting
    daps

Answer by daps at 9:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Me again. I didn't lie to him. I just took the cash and hid it somewhere here in the house. He expects to give the tithe on Sunday, but he will be mad when he goes to get it out of the drawer he put it in and finds out I hid it. I have never done anything like this before. Things have just been hard since we lost our baby and I lost some time off work.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• He needs to understand that your church tithes so that families in need can ask for assistance. If you need it for your family to survive, then you need it. Maybe talk to your priest about it- that might help your husband understand. :-)
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 9:43 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I wouldn't hide it. I would return it to where it was, but really push him not to spend it and to make it up when you get your first check again since times were just tight. Logically, the church can make it a few weeks without that money better than the two of you can given your current circumstance.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2011