What to tell my 6 yeold? She wants to know how a baby got in my belly.

Beofre I was pregnant she asked me where babies come from. I told her from jesus then she said left it at that well now I am 21 weeks pregnant and she just asked me how did jesus put the baby in my belly. What do I tell her now?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 9:27 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• My 6 year old has a lot of questions, and I am honest with him. I told him daddy put the baby there. He was okay with that answer for a while, but then started asking HOW. I told him daddy has sperm and mommy has eggs. The sperm fertilized the egg and it turned into a baby. He is okay with that answer for now. I will again tell him the truth when it isnt good enough anymore.
    MommaRoxanne

Answer by MommaRoxanne at 11:02 AM on Apr. 3, 2011

• Why not tell her the truth? If my 4yo could understand it, I'm sure your 6yo can. Why lie?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:30 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• The truth. Tell her you and Daddy amde the baby together and it is safely growing inside you. It may be enough. Answer the exact question she asked. If she wants to know more she'll ask more.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• why don't you get the book 'where did I come from' if you're afraid to tell her the truth.

I was told every crazy story under the sun until I finally got my hands on it. I found the truth to be pretty stupid sounding, but it made me feel much better!
    the idea that a baby could magically appear in a woman's body whether she liked it or not freaked me out for years!

Please get her that book if you can't tell her they truth, seems apparent that the other things you have told her aren't enough for her.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• That is exactly why I give truthful answers. Now you're going to have to go back on what you told her. My daughter is 5 and knows it all. I mean, we haven't told her we grunt around like horny pigs, but she knows that mommy has an egg, and daddy has a sperm, and that both parts have to be in mommy's belly for a baby to come. She knows how they are born, she has seen a "sperm meets egg" picture to see the "mommy part" and "daddy part". She knows the basics of vaginal birth or c-sections. She has seen a birth video. She even knows that sex is something grown ups do to have a baby, but doesn't really know what that entails.

In this day and age, where you hear/see sexual references everywhere, I would rather not have her guessing and misinformed.

Did it weird me out a bit to have her ask all the right questions, yes, but why wouldn't she?! She has seen me pregnant with 2 of her siblings, so of course she wants to know!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:37 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I am not lieing to her I am just not telling her everything. A baby is a gift from God so I am not lying

Umm... yeah... bent truth is no different than a lie! You and I both know you're not the Virgin Mary!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• sounds like you are making up a lot of reasons to not tell her.

I say get her the book and tell her that this isn't something you discuss at school. if she does, take it from there.

I don't want to be mean, but as a former friend of mine would say:
    time to put on your big girl panties and deal with this!
    get her the book or tell her the truth, if she talks about it, she talks about it. not the end of the world.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 10:01 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I honestly can't imagine she will be terribly confused or scarred later on because at 6 you didn't tell her ..."mommy and daddy made the baby by having sex. That's when a man puts his penis into a woman's vagina and releases his sperm to meet her egg to form a child." I was told a stork straight through elementary school, when I did get the truth I completely understood the reasoning behind the stork farce.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 10:03 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I just told my kids the truth when they asked. My daughter was 5 she said "is that what your doing when you scream Oh God?" She also said her and her siblings simply thought we were praying very loudly.lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• LOL I told mine that an angel put it there and you can't see angel and angels are magic. Kinda worked, she quit asking!
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 9:28 PM on Apr. 1, 2011