My sisters daughter

ok the state took my sisters kids and i took them in she has a daughter and she is 4 i have had her almost all her life she has afs my sister drank the while she was prego and did drugs well her daughter is 4 and can not talk and she has special needs she has adhd and she can not sit still for 1 min i know it is not her fault the dr wants to put her on meds but i dont know if i shouldor not i mean i dont like giving kids meds if i dont have to i love her so much i would feel really bad if i give her meds everyday i just dont want to put her on something that is gonna make her sleepy all day i just dont know what to do she has been throught so much already does anyone know of someting i could try o help her so i dont have to turn to meds

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe she can qualify for a special needs schooling program. Professionals who work with children with disorders will most likely be your best bet without medication. I would try it before I gave her medicine. It sounds like she could use some positive help and reinforcement by ppl who love and care for her and by professionals who know what they are doing. You have to do what you think is best, but you don't have to make the decision spurt of the moment. Take your time to consider all of her options and to decide what's best for her. Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 9:42 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• The good thing is is that she is 4. That is still an age where she has time to learn to be loved and her knowing that you are caring for her is a GREAT start to all of this. I agree with Kword. Before meds try having her talk to a child therapist. Its not going to be easy but it is possible. You are a WONDERFUL aunt and hopefully one day she will be thankful for you. GL!
    Annasofia

Answer by Annasofia at 9:54 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I have a ds with severe ADHD. I assure you the right med will not make her sleepy or even a zombie. Not that it can't happen, but you have to work with your ped to get the right med and dosage. It's not an easy fix all! As a matter of fact, meds add more complex issues. And if she were diabetic and needed meds, you wouldn't hesitate. If you feel that her quality of life would improve by using the meds, she deserves that chance. Alternative to meds is a strict diet change, behavior modification and consistency. You can PM me if you like.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• have you tried Chinese medicine? I've heard of a herbal mixture that a lot of people have has success with.

I'd take her to see a licensed person in Chinese medicine.
    Anonymous

• I didnt want to put my son on meds cuz of the same reason but finally i had to and it makes him normal
    angelsmurf1989

Answer by angelsmurf1989 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 3, 2011