Should I take them to the ER?

My youngest DD (14mos) has been sick for 2 weeks now. Only a runny nose, the fever and crusty eyes went away. My oldest DD (2yo) will NOT eat, this morning she had really BAD diarrhea, and it's still ongoing, even when she ''passes gas'' it's not just gas.....She has a slight temp, but can't find the thermometer right now =[ She keeps asking for water, she might be dehydrated but I don't know how to tell.....should I go to ER, or hopefully try to get in a doc appt tomorrow? There doctor SUCKS though, one time my dd had pneumonia, and they thought it was a cold, thank god i went to the ER that time.

knicole0708

Asked by knicole0708 at 9:34 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I wouldn't, I would just call the regular doctor first thing in the morning. It sounds like what happened in our house. We were all sick from December 20th through February, we JUST got better at the beginning of March. The ER is expensive.

To test for dehydration take her fingers or toes in your hand and squeeze them a little until the skin blanches (turns white) and count how long it takes for the color to return to the skin. if it's more than 5 or 6 seconds she probably needs more water. Just give her as much water as she wants (no juice, it makes diarrhea worse), keep an eye on her and call her doc in the morning.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I would do urgent care instead of er.
    SPreece

Answer by SPreece at 9:43 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Ugh. Good luck, whatever you decide. I went to a dr and the ER yesterday/lastnight and all they gave my daughter was some antibiotics (even though the first dr said she didn't have an infection). She's had a fever for almost a week now. I'm just so frustrated right now and can't wait to see her regular doctor on Thursday. I would give your daughter lots of fluids, especially bc of the diarrhea. Good luck, Mama.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 9:39 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• She is acting normal right now, her silly self, but something just isn't right, she won't eat =[ and she's had a fever on/off for a week now, also her sister. This is SO frustrating!!!!!! GL 2 U 2!
    knicole0708

Comment by knicole0708 (original poster) at 9:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I would give 2 year old water or pedialyte, get fluids in her. They may clear up the diarrhea or at least lesson it. If you don't see improvement by tomorrow I'd take her in. The 14 month old seems to be getting better.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 9:41 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Thank you! I am also a super hypochondriac sometimes! I keep worrying about leukemia and I know I'm being crazy, but I still can't help but think it. I can't wait to go to her reg dr to clear it all up and hopefully she will be all better by then anyways.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 9:45 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• If you are worried why not call the doctor on call. They will let you know if it can wait for a doctor's appointment or not.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 9:52 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• PCP
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:27 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I'd call the on-call service, or wait until in the morning and call the regular doc. Sometimes these things can hang on for several days, and all you can do is keep them hydrated. Good luck, Momma!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:41 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I would wait till tomorrow and call their regular Dr. A cold can turn into pneumonia very quickly in children so it is possible their Dr correctly diagnosed a cold last time, and then a day or 2 later it had turned into pneumonia. But from the sounds of things the 14 month old is doing just fine. Push fluids with the 2 year old, some pedialite if you're concerned about dehydration. Eating really isn't important when children are sick, fluids are. The human body can survive 7 days without food, only 3 without water. Scale that down for a child it still equals fluids are significantly more important then food. Sounds like they both just have/had a virus and the ER will probably make them sicker, exposing them to way more germs then what's in your house. GL, I hope everyone gets to feeling better soon :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 11:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2011