Do your kids have an allowance?

I want to give my son allowance but my husband says that the chores he does at home are part of being in the family.

HollyBoBolly

Asked by HollyBoBolly at 10:00 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• My sons both have jobs. When they were younger we gave them money for doing extra chores. They only got paid if they did things that weren't on their assigned chore lists.
    elliecooper

Answer by elliecooper at 7:44 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• You bringing him into the world means he's apart of your family. That used to make me soo angry when I was growing up. My siblings and I used to clean the entire house, and my mom and her boyfriend didnt have to lift a finger, and my mom would say it was so we could earn the roof above our heads!! (ok done ranting LOL)

Anyways yes it is being apart of the family, but you also need to realize that having allowance could teach him a good lesson on money management
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:17 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I do believe they are a part of being innthe family but I think it gives them a meaning to ean their allowance
    Nitestalker

Answer by Nitestalker at 10:03 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• My girls do get an allowance..they have 1 chore per day a week (Sat and Sundays off) if they chose to do an extra chore they earn money for that extra chore.
    dolphingoddess

Answer by dolphingoddess at 12:25 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I agree with your spouse. We don't get paid for cooking, doing laundry, etc.

We do have jobs we go to, where we get paid. When we do an awesome job, we get paid a little extra. We pay for good grades, subtract for poor ones, and pay a bonus for honor roll

Answer by rkoloms at 6:52 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Yes my daughter gets allowance once a month ,she has chores to do during weekends
    Donnabell_nyc

Answer by Donnabell_nyc at 10:59 PM on Apr. 2, 2011