FF weaning vs BF weaning

As a FF mom my kids were weaned around age 1. This seems pretty normal. Why is it that BF moms seem to think it's fine not to wean their children until they are toddlers? I'm not talking the moms who pump (which is fine if that's what you want to do), I'm talking about the moms who are still nursing their kids at age 2 and beyond.

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 10:24 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I cant answer for other moms, but for me so far the longest i have nursed any of my boys was 14 months....i am currently still nursing my 11 month old and plan to until at least 18 months. I cant see me nursing any longer than that. I think once they can start asking for your boobs.....its been long enough.
    Anonymous

• "The World Health Organization recommends that infants start breastfeeding within one hour of life, are exclusively breastfed for six months, with timely introduction of adequate, safe and properly fed complementary foods while continuing breastfeeding for up to two years of age or beyond."

http://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/infantfeeding/en/index.html
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:28 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Its their choice, move on. There is nothing you can say or do to change it so just leave it be, its not hurting anything.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Because they chose the healthiest option and what was best for them and their children after carefully considering all other options probably. Pumping sometimes decreases milk supply as well and maybe they didn't want to take the chance of losing something they thought was the healthiest for their child. My breast milk actually would not even let down for a pump. My nurse told me it was psychological. I tried focusing on my baby and it still wouldn't let down.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:29 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• As a BF mom I can say that weaning is more difficult than just throwing away the bottle. Breastfeeding is more than just food it is comfort for the child and breast milk still has its place as a form of nutrient for the child long after formula does. I am saying that I plan to BF until my child is 2 or 3 but it is not as easy and I am not sure what pumping has to do with it.

Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 10:33 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• The WHO, LLL and numerous other organizations have all shown proof that breastfeeding until AT LEAST the age of 2 is shown to cause great benefits to mother and child. The actual nursing part itself is great bonding time and helps sooth a baby far past the age of one. Bottles are not good for them to suck on past the age of 1 and formula does them no good past that age either, not to mention the lack of bonding between baby and bottle.
    RISE_N_SHINE

Answer by RISE_N_SHINE at 10:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Because they feel it is best. Everyone gets to make their own choices.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:39 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Because we want to. Why is it formula feeding moms feed their kids formula when they know there is a healthier, better option?
    Anonymous

• LOL, Anon. I think I may feel the same way, but it's different for everyone. To each his (or her) own.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:34 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• WHO (World Health Organization) recommends BF until children are between 2-3 years old, plus if you read formula labels, they also have different formula 'levels' for children up to 2-3 years old. That's the cut off for the rest of the world, the US is very backward in that we only BF our children for a few weeks or barely a few months versus the rest of the world following WHO standards.
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 10:50 PM on Apr. 1, 2011