Can you recommend a good heart rate monitor?

I would like to buy a heart rate monitor, but I also want one that has the feature for calculating how many calories are burned during workouts. I don't want one that has a chest strap. I'd prefer the watch type. I looked at Dicks Sporting Goods' website & they have them in so many price ranges. I couldn't buy a really expensive one right now, but I'd like one that is pretty accurate for calculating things. Any recommendations?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• The chest strap ones are more accurate than just the watch ones, IMHO. I barely notice my chest strap. I have a Timex, and I'm pretty happy with it. The recall tells me my max HR from the last session, how Lon my workout was, how long I was "in the zone" I have set, and my average HR, as well as my calories burned.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:53 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I agree w/ musicpisces, the ones w/ the chest strap are more accurate. I used a polar and liked it.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 2:43 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I have a New Balance for women- N4...it is very easy to use and has the chest strap. It will be more accurate than just the watch...that said.. I wear a Bodybugg and it is the most efficient way of tracking calorie burn on the market. It tracks for every minute of the day. It does not do HR zones, but calorie burn is a lot more accurate. My HRM consistently tells me that I've burned close to 400 calories while doing a Bob Harper DVD which is an hour long, my BB on the other hand is on my body all day long and it registers at least 60-70 calories less than the HRM. At my weight I know that I am not burning that much.. I only weigh 110 lbs. The only reason I have the HRM is my BB subscription is over in June...sigh...I love my BB..it enabled me to lose 57 lbs in 9 months to hit my goal weight....
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:51 AM on Apr. 2, 2011