How do i get my picky eater to eat Veggies?

dfwhite

Asked by dfwhite at 10:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Food & Drink

• My son likes carrot sticks dipped in ranch dressing. I find that if I give him a plate of that while he's on the computer or watching TV, not really paying attention to it, he gobbles it up. He also likes cherry tomatoes.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Dipping in "white sauce" as DD calls it (ranch dressing) has always gotten her to eat her veggies. She particularly loves having multicolored pepper slices to dip. Celery with peanut butter, or with cream cheese with chopped up green olives have gone over too. When she was younger I used to mash up carrotts in her mash potatoes too, she still asks for that sometimes.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 10:40 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Cut them to look like animals. There are lots of examples in women's magazines.

Also note that kids need to see unfamilar foods about 17 times before they may be willing to try it. If the child is a baby or toddler, it just may not have been long enough. Eat the veggies in front of the child and put it on the child's plate. Do not say anything since the child may realize a way to get more attention from you. If the child takes a taste, give lots of praise. Don't scold or coerce; kids are wise to it...

You could also hide the vegetables in foods by grinding/pureeing them and mixing them in. Pureed carrots in the spaghetti sauce add vitamins and are also a good sweetener for the sauce. It's a good way to fool an older child, too.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 10:47 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Dipping is great most kids will dip sliced cucumbers, celery and carrots. Also my boys always loved "Ants on a log" peanut butter spread in celery, with raisins on it....and cream cheese in celery too.

Having them help prepare the meal....such as tearing lettuce for a salad, sometimes will get them to eat it too. My boys also enjoyed eating vegetables that they grew in our little garden.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:50 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Peanut butter and hummus spread on pretty much any vegetable is DELICIOUS!!!
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 11:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Either disguise them in things finely chopped(like lasagna or omelets) or just keep putting different ones on the plate but don't make a big deal out of it. Model the behavior as well.

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 11:36 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• we gave up on the cooked veggies... it's raw with dip ...cucumbers, carrots, celery, even red and green peppers...
    toss salads are a hit too with tomatoes, radishes and his fave, red onion... go figure... won't eat cooked veggies,
    but love red onions...
    Outside of potatoes, corn on cob and carrots are the only cooked veggies our 10 yr old will eat, so we keep
    raw veggies around for snacking....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:44 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• robotlady has great ideas!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:20 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• try making them & presenting them in different ways & keep offering them everyday
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 7:51 PM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I agree ith robotlady
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 7:52 PM on Apr. 2, 2011