Thought there would be more time for the bra situation, but........... adult content

Niece is starting to show signs of wanting a bra and she's 7. While prepping for a run, she wanted to wear a sports top just like the big girls, so she wore the top from her swimsuit that looks like one.

Her Daddy and my husband (his brother) started joking and telling her that she didn't have anything to put into a top like that yet.

I quickly changed the subject. On the way home I gave DH a stern talking to, telling him that you NEVER tell a woman young or old that they are too flat for a bra.
Talk like that leads to body issues.
and DH is this little girls Hero.

So are there any 7 year olds out there wearing sports tops? I figure maybe it's not such a bad idea for modesty, in case the top could be see through or something. it's not like we are talking busty bells push up variety.

was thinking about making the suggestion to her mommy,
before I get slammed that I am not her mommy, no I'm not. But her mommy is also the person that thinks that she won't need a menstruation talk until she's at least 12, (that was too late when I was in school!) that you can't get STDs from oral sex, and has no idea what it's like to have a bust in kindergarten.
granted, niece doesn't have a bust yet, but she does have Schoolmates that like to try and look down girls shirts, I've seen them try it!

would appreciate staying with the subject at hand being that the issue of 'whose job is this' is a subject that has been debated since the child was born. Raising her has been a shared responsibility since she was born for reason that would take a long time to explain.

so if anyone has any advice on the bra/sports top issue, please comment.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My sister was in a double a when she was 9!!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• If she is trying to be like the big girls how about getting her one of those tank tops that girls wear under their shirts. My niece who is 13 wears them all the time, they wear them over their bra and under their shirt. Mabey you can look through magazines or something and show her the tank tops. I have 3 nieces so I know what situation you are in about you not being the mama, but maybe you can "accidently" be in a situation where you can talk to her. Good luck
    Ambear72

Answer by Ambear72 at 11:29 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• My lil girl is 9. She's still flat chested but has some poking out. She wears her little bra when she remembers. I figured she can go without right now until its a must. I already had the period talk with her tho. My mom never had that talk with me and I was lost. My mom had a hysterectomy after i was born and i only had a brother so you can probably understand why i was lost and didnt know what was going on till she finally talked to me. Didnt want the samething to happen to my girl.

jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 11:30 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• My niece is 10 and already has to wear a bra! But then again, our whole family has real big breasts, much to my nieces dismay. Shes is a tomboy from hell! Her mom has to actually stop and her and ask if shes wearing a bra!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:37 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Just get her some training bras...my daughter has worn them since 3rd grade.....she's 12 and still doesnt need much but she likes them.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 12:37 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• You could get her a training bra. They also have matching bra and panty sets for girls. As for your niece, I'm sure that your husband and his brother need to know when to keep their mouths shut when talking to a girl about something that she is interested in. I bet her self-esteem went down too. It should be her mom's job or a female that is close to her.It sounds like she was talking to you about it and I think that is great. I really believe that kids go through puberty earlier than we did as kids. It's our jobs as moms to educate our daughters so they will be prepared for when they really do need a real bra or start their periods. My mom or sister never talked to me about it and I made sure that my daughter was informed before that time came. I didn't want her to be afraid that something was wrong with her, which is what I thought because I wasn't informed.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:18 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I was wearing a bra at age 10
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 4:06 PM on Apr. 5, 2011