Do you still spank

Do you believe in spanking, if your son used a dirty word to describe a ladies chest in front of you would you spank? Do you think theres an age limit on spanking?

xoYanksGal2xo

Asked by xoYanksGal2xo at 11:30 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Since this is in the Teens section I'm guessing this is the age you are referring to. No, we don't still spank our kids at this age. Instead, grounding and adding extra responsibilities around the house are the common forms of punishment here.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:31 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Not like I used to. Im really trying to change that. I used to spank right away. Now I talk to my kids and figure out why they did what they did. If they do something really bad then I tell them they are going to get a spanking and why they are getting one. But its very seldom that I even do that. Im more into time out and going to their room until they calm down.
    Ambear72

Answer by Ambear72 at 11:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I didnt read the rest of your post. No I would not spank my son for saying something like that. I tell my 15 year old not to talk like that its rude and nasty. He is pretty good about saying sorry. I choose my battles with him, or it would be a constand battle. With my 7 yr old I would tell him its not ok to use words like that. I would not spank over something like that.
    Ambear72

Answer by Ambear72 at 11:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Honestly, NO- i would Not Spank a Teen between 13-17- i think they are just a little Too Old to Spank! Saying a Dirty Word at this age is pretty normal- especially, for a Boy- i would find a different punishment-

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• spank a teen? NO

I quit spanking around age 7 or so- when other things started working.

I would talk to him about why saying whatever he said is wrong, and talk about respect
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• NO...doesn't work and just makes children resentful.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 11:51 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• i was spanked until i turned 11. taught me a lot. after that, no way. i believe in it, even being on the receiving end when i was young. once the child figures out that being grounded a week sucks way more than a spanking, it's time to switch methods
    mrstheriault

Answer by mrstheriault at 11:59 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• I didn't spank when they were little, so I can't see starting with them as teens. In terms of rude language, I wouldn't think that is an offense that deserves punishment, but rather correction. By the time they are teenagers, they are learning the power of words and where/when some things are appropriate. Just telling them that you do not wish to hear that language should be enough for them to stop using it around you.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:21 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• We never told our child that hitting solves problems.

You need to choose your battles...

Answer by rkoloms at 7:28 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• For a dirty word yes. It would depend on things going on if I would spank at this age but if I needed to I would.
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 8:41 AM on Apr. 2, 2011