Are you offended by someone saying "God Bless"?

A friend of mine who works in a restaurant just got fired because when a customer was leaving he said God Bless. That customer called the corporate headquarters and got my friend fired. Would you be offended (even if your atheist) over someone saying God Bless? Personally I do believe in God, just many different ones. And when someone says God Bless they may mean the Christian God, but to me that translates into my God(s).

So would you be offended? Would you call and get a person in public work fired for it?

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 11:50 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• That's really awful, and I'm sorry for your friend. I would fight it if I were him. I mean, if it had been said in response to the customer sneezing, would it have been different? Just a silly, silly thing to become offended enough over to actually work to take someone's livelihood away.

The only time I've ever been offended by someone saying God Bless to me was when it was done in a condescending way.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:13 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• It irritates me, but no more than servers who seem to have memorized the Flo from Mel's Diner playbook. Not something to call and complain about, let alone get someone fired over it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:28 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• He wasn't fired on the spot. He was fired after the guy called corporate and corporate contacted the restaurant.

But my point is there is probably more to it than a single incident. Companies get customer complaints all the time. If they fired someone every time they got one, they wouldn't have anyone left to work.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:55 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I'm not religious, but I don't find it offensive when someone says that to me. They're only trying to be nice. I guess some people are just a-holes looking to get riled up about anything. Sorry for your friend, what a ridiculous thing to get fired for.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:32 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• That customer needs someone to say God Bless to him because someone like him need ALL the blessings they can get! I work with the public and some get offended over the dumbest things, such as a simple Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays. The company that fired your friend for this should be brought to the publics attention via radio or t.v. and let public opinion determine their sales for this outlandish firing! I know I wouldn't support them anymore, there are many other resturants that would love to have my money.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:39 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• It's terrible when the world is coming to the point that you have no freedom of speech over anything anymore, much less religion. How can that actually be a valid reason for firing somebody? I would hate to have to go to the Employment Security Commission and tell them I got fired because of something I said. Especially, "God Bless." I just hate what our world is coming to this. People need to stop taking this so personally.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:42 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I wouldnt be, I cant believe that jerk got your friend fired. How rude is that. People tell me God Bless all the time. The nerve of some people. I would hate to be that guy when Karma gets ahold of him!!
    Ambear72

Answer by Ambear72 at 11:52 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Yes,I do believe in God. no,I would not get someone fired for saying God Bless.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:53 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• Oh boy-
    No, I would never go so far as to get someone that meant me no harm fired-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:53 PM on Apr. 1, 2011

• The person who got her fired is a horse's...butt. I don't like the expression, but I take it the way it was meant. It was a nice gesture and the person seriously overreacted. OH and the company she worked for has no backbone what so ever.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 11:54 PM on Apr. 1, 2011