How to keep my 19 month old from hitting, biting, throwing and being mean in general?

When I said throwing I meant he throws things at people (or me.) He's not doing it to mean I think, he finds the reaction funny I think and the only thing I've done that's gotten through to him is yelling (which I'm not proud of and don't want to do more of.) time outs don't seem to do anything. HELP PLEASE I'm at my wits end.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Apr. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Not quite sure, but when you find the answer let me know! My 18 month old is the same way. He knows what "no" means, but he just doesn't want to listen. I think a lot of it's Terrible Twos hitting early.
    bethanysmom1007

Answer by bethanysmom1007 at 12:02 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I am right there with you :S
    TexasMama2Boys

Answer by TexasMama2Boys at 12:08 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I guess its just a prelude to the terrible twos?
    TexasMama2Boys

• My dd is still doing that, and its get dangerous! If she has something we want and we get up yo get itshe takes off and throws into the kitchen which has gate. I haven't discovered thre secret with that stuff yet. AS for being mean like biting or hitting?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:09 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I'm with you too. My 21 month old has been a terror forever it seems, and nothing works for me as well. In fact, she just gave my newborn a good pinch the other day...totally unprovoked. Sometimes I get at wits end with her, the meany thing is daily in our household.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:27 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Glad to hear Im not alone.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:35 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• have you tried crying when he does it . . to let him know it hurts you. Let him know it makes you very sad and it hurts your feelings . . saying no will not do anything.

He is doing this for a reason whether it be attention or like you said for the response. . . give him lots of REALLY GOOD attention when he is doing something you really want him to do and either get sad or try to ignore the hitting or throwing as much as possible he is doing it for the response
    Huntersmom209

Answer by Huntersmom209 at 12:50 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• spanking or ignoring.

take immediate action, a swift swat to the bum, a stern no, and putting them in "solitary" until they wish to continue in a calm manner.

or, if you can, take the ignoring method (requires much more patience) allow the child to throw a fit and continue as long as they wish, and do absolutely nothing about it. make sure you are around, and walk around or over the child, acknowledging they are there, but that their antics have no effect on you. children use whatever method works to get attention, when the find out it stops working they try something new. reward him when he stops and would like to interact rationally with you.

(i've noticed this works even in myself, the cat always reacts to me poking her, so i do it even tho it annoys her because she reacts to it. the dog on the other hand does not react when i poke him, so i don't bother with it any more, cause there's no reaction.)
    mrstheriault

Answer by mrstheriault at 12:57 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• My daughter has been doing this too. She's 19 months and the only thing I've found that helps is taking the toy away and putting her in time out. If its a repeat offense in the same day she might get a smack on the hand or butt too. She still wears a diaper so the swat on the diaper doesn't hurt her just lets her know she was naughty. Usually taking it away and time out do the trick here but not always.
    EndellionMomma

Answer by EndellionMomma at 2:06 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• just be consistant with the time outs and correcting ur child when he throws things at other people good luck!
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 8:19 AM on Apr. 3, 2011