How does this happen?

I was reading an article today about a morbidly obese man who had to be cut from his chair that he hadnt left in 2 years after his skin FUSED to the fabric of the chair....how on earth is this physically possible??? How does a living organism become fused to an inanimate object????

If anyone can explain this to me in laymen's terms I would be eternally grateful lol....I tried to Google it but nothing came up that really matched what I was looking for.

Thanx mama's

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 12:00 AM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Health

• I used to work in a nursing home. Continued contact with a surface can cause the skin to degrade as far as the bone sometimes. Hence bedsores. I suppose when you are morbidly obese the rolls of skin can reunite at some point and Seal the hole. (like a skin graft maybe?) That's as far as I'm able to figure it.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 12:14 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• My huz is a paramedic and he has seen many morbidly obese people who have things fused within their skin, like keys, remotes, cell phones.. It is really sad, sad, sad... and they need to be surgically removed.. yikes.
    TexasMama2Boys

Answer by TexasMama2Boys at 12:03 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I heard about that too! It sounds just awful. I don't know how that could happen either. What I was wondering too, was there not someone helping him? Maybe he was too embarrased to ask for help! I don't know but it's kind of sad.
    HeidisMom800

Answer by HeidisMom800 at 12:03 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• i have no idea but it makes me really sad.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 12:48 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• The man apparently had a girlfriend that fed him but I guess she was pretty neglectful....it didnt have alot of information
    Lucky209

Comment by Lucky209 (original poster) at 12:08 AM on Apr. 2, 2011