Christmas Carols? Non-Christians and Jehova's Witnesses please...

This is a question I have wondered about for ages. At this time of year we are surrounded by Christmas, and no matter your faith, you can't help but hear the music. Unless you turn on a cd in your car and put in earplugs in all public places, it's there. So, for those of us who are not Christian here are some questions for you...

What is your religion?
Does the Christmas Music bother you?
Do you have a favorite Christmas song?
Is it a "religious" song?
What, if anything, about the song "calls" to you?

AnnieMcD

Asked by AnnieMcD at 1:30 AM on Nov. 29, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am atheist and I LOVE Christmas/Holiday music. I don't really have a favorite maybe the one that says "Sleigh bells ring are you listenting" or "chestnuts roasting by an open fire." I don't know if they necessarily call to me, but it is a nice break from music I am used to listening to. It gives me something to look forward too. I think it is the music, food, decorations, lights, and family events together that creates the feeling of the holidays for me.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 10:20 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I am a Pagan.The only Christmas music that bothers me are the Corny songs like Gramma got run over by a reindeer. White Christmas is my favorite song for the season. No its not a religious song. The reason I like the song because it has beautiful harmonies

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:34 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Ok, it's my question, so I'll go ahead and answer it...

I am a Pagan, initiated Wiccan but gone more toward the older paths...
    Not only does the Christmas music not bother me, I go out of my way to hear it, listenening to a radio station that ONLY plays Christmas Music from Thanksgiving unti Christmas.
    My Favorite Song is called The Gift (or The Nightengale Song)
    Yes, it is a VERY "religious" song.
    Not only is the voice of the girl singing the song very lovely and melodious, the message of the song is beautiful. On similar lines of Little Drummer Boy, but less cheesy, it shows that no matter how little you have, if you give a gift with love it is the most precious gift there is...
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 1:36 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• -I'm agnostic.
    -No, Christmas music is awesome (with a few exceptions, some songs are ANNOYING!).
    -My favorite is Carol of the Bells.
    -No, it's not a religious song. But I have considered "religious" songs my favorite in the past. I used to strongly prefer Hark the Herald Angel Sings and O Holy Night.
    -Carol of the Bells is just so epic-sounding to me, especially the Transsiberian Orchestra version. It's very powerful.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:37 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I am Pagan, I love Christmas music, Christian or not. I even like the "Cheesy" songs. I think my 3 favorites are, The Little Drummer Boy, Do you Hear What I Hear, and Silver Bells.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:42 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• Whats the fah lah lah one...I like that one too
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:02 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• That's Deck the Halls and is actually a pagan based song. One of the few that is really about the winter solstice and the old celebrations of the Holly King and the Oak King. Hence the "Deck the halls with Boughs of Holly"
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 2:14 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• What is your religion? I'm more an earth based girl..Pagan.
    Does the Christmas Music bother you? Not at all...I like it.
    Do you have a favorite Christmas song? Anything by The Beatles and I love the song, "Go Tell It On A Mountain"
    Is it a "religious" song? Yep
    What, if anything, about the song "calls" to you? It's just a powerful song, beautiful and I like to sing it!
    Jill42721

Answer by Jill42721 at 3:18 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• What is your religion?  I don't care for religion, but I do believe in God and Jesus.
    Does the Christmas Music bother you?  Only after I've heard it a gazillion times. 
    Do you have a favorite Christmas song?  Jeff Foxworthy's rendition of The 12 Days of Christmas.
    Is it a "religious" song?  Nope.
    What, if anything, about the song "calls" to you?  The hilarity

Della529

Answer by Della529 at 4:57 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I am an atheist, but I love Christmas music because Christmas is my favorite holiday. I love all Christmas music, even the religious songs. Just because I don't believe doesn't mean I can't enjoy the songs. My favorite song, I think it's called The Christmas Shoes. It's about a little boy trying to buy shoes for his dying mother, but he doesn't have enough money. It is a religious song, because he says "I want mommy to look beautiful, if she meets Jesus tonight!". I cry uncontrollably every time I hear it.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:01 AM on Nov. 29, 2008