Having trouble weaning off xanax and doc said social services would want to see me after birthing??

I am 37 weeks pregnant, I had been taking 3 mg of xanax for 4 years prior to my pregnancy. When I found out i was pregnant i immediately wen down to 2 mg, then soon to 1.5mg, then 1, and have been stuck at .5mg for a few months now.
I am honestly trying my best, and I have had a prescription (last prescribed January 12th, 30 1mg xanax) but my dr. said to see a psych for a refil and i havent needed a refil, so i havent. When i lower my dose to .25mg i have constant braxton hicks and turn into a psyco, screaming and mean to every person who crosses my path, i cannot sleep, cannot get comfortable beacuse of the braxton hicks that are painful at times.. I cannot function. I cannot get past this last bit of weaning... I still try every day. Still drive my boyfriend insane from yelling at him all day until i give in and take the other.25mg to stop the madness... only because it cannot be good for my baby to hear constant screaming as im having braxton hicks contractions and then crying and then not being able to sleep (and i left out feeling depressed) I know it isnt good for him.
NOW to my point..... I asked my dr. this last visit what is going to happen if im still taking .5mg when i go into labor. He told me- First of all social services is going to want to talk to me to see why im taking xanax while pregnant. Then the baby is going to go through withdrawals after he is born and have to stay at the hospital for awhile and have a very rough start to life.
This was so hard to hear, i cryed as i left the office, and have been crying for 2 days now. I am upset because i feel like i have failed, and now am going to put my son through pain and agony :'( .... Also though i am very worried beacuse he said social services would pay me a visit soon after birthing my son! As if im taking street drugs. I have a precription. My Ob/gyn has known this from the beginning. They have urged me to hurry and get off the xaxax, but they dont seem to understand xanax addiction AT ALL! in the beginning they told me as long as i quit the xaxax amonth before birth the baby should be ok. I never saw a psych as my PCP and ONE of my 3 OB/GYNs at my dr.s office asked me to do. The other 2 (including the head OB/GYN at the office) never mentioned seeing a psych.

Have any of you been in a similar situation?

I just need someone to enlighten me on what social services my be asking me if they are visiting me after i give birth.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Apr. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Calm down and don't let every one upset you like this. Social services will only be looking to make sure you have a valid reason to take it and if you do, that you are taking it properly after the baby is born. Try to contact a rehab center and explain the situation. They should be able to help wean you off with out the panic or "psycho" reoccurring. They DO know how to deal with pregnant women. No, your babies will not get taken as long as your as good a mother as you sound.

The best thing for your baby is for you to be calm and give him a stable place to grow, having braxton hicks and you stressing out to the point you say you are is very bad for both of you. Good luck and try to woosa!
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 1:27 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• They couldn't find you an alternative drug that safe to take during pregnancy but helps with your mood swings and anxiety?

Sorry you are dealing with all this, I can't imagine how hard it must be for you. I really do wish you the best in finding a solution. I'm not sure why social services would get involved, maybe to make sure the baby is okay because of the withdrawing? I'm not sure really. Maybe to make sure you are okay as well. Wishing the best for you and *cyber hug*
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:59 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Talk to your OB/GYN's that haven't mentioned this to you and see what they say. I think that the fact that you've been weaned from 3mg to .5mg is showing that you are trying to get off of it. You have been on it for 4 years and even that small amount is hard to get off of. I don't see why that little bit it enough to worry about. I take it too, but I only take .25 or .5mg a day as needed. I try not to take it any more than I have to. Talk to a pharmacist and see what they have to say about it.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:08 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I personally think you should have stopped taking them when you got pregnant.
    coffeeexpress

Answer by coffeeexpress at 1:08 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• My MIL was on Valium for 30 years. I know that you are having trouble getting off of Xanax. The 2 drugs are different. Her step mom started slipping it in her food when she was just in her teens. (Step Mom wasn't a nice lady and her Dad worked long hours.) She told me how painful getting off of Valium was. It took her 3 yrs. Her doctor told her to quit cold turkey. She just about died and ended up in the ER. Her Dr. weened her slowly off of the drug. It took her Dr. prescribing one drug that was in the same drug family but was less potent to another drug that was even less potent to the least potent before she started cutting back on how much she was taking. She looked for support and help on the internet. She couldn't find a website that addressed the issues of valium withdrawal so she started one. If you haven't already done so, check to see if there is a group that deals with Xanax withdrawal. Good luck.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:10 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I am surprised your taking it...when I was pregnant with my last baby, 6 yrs ago I was on Xanax and I was told to stop ASAP! it was not safe to take in any amount.
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 1:01 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Gomez- I think you should do some researching on xanax withdrawal before you offer this advice. Im sorry but if i took your advice i would would be having siezures by tomorrow night, and "psycho" is part of xanax withdrawal, hormones only make this worse. I am taking it for Panic disorder. Sorry i left this out. I have several panic attacks a day. which i am also afraid can hurt the baby. COLD TURKEY is the very worst thing i can do and would also be VERY harmful to my baby! Honestly, do a google search on xanax withdrawal.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:03 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• I wanted to add....

I was given mine at .5 mg over 8 months ago and I still have 4.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• Call a rehab center and ask them HOW to go about dealing with this and HOW they would treat a pregnant woman.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Apr. 2, 2011

• amessageofhope...

This medication is NOT considered safe for in ANY amount during pregnancy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Apr. 2, 2011